Hayward SP1480 Installation Question.

Grumpy611

Bronze Supporter
Aug 27, 2013
North Babylon NY
With regards to the Hayward SP1480 Union, does it matter which part/end should be connected to the filter and which to the pump?
One part of the union looks to be the "receiving" (cup-like) end with an o-ring, and the other part looks like a "ball" fitting. If I were to guess, I would say the receiving end would be connected to the filter, as the water flow is coming from the pump?

Also, should the o-ring be lubed?

Thanks in advance for any help....

Union can go in either direction. Usually lubrication of the o-ring is not needed but a very small amount of a teflon based grease doesn't hurt. Magic Lube is good stuff.
0011166_magic-lube.png

Thanks for the info!

For this type size plastic/pvc fitting, would channel-lock pliers be the best tool to use for additional tightening? I ask this because I've used the channel locks in the past, and I chewed up the sides of the fitting from the plier's teeth. So instead, I was thinking of maybe purchasing a large adjustable wrench? Would this be better to use?

Just curious as to what other folks use for this purpose....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.