can tests be affected by whether or not your pump is running?

ChewBiscuit

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just curious, but if I'm doing my test for FC and CC or an overnight loss test, does whether or not the pump is running affect my results?

When it's not running, does chlorine stay evenly distributed throughout the pool, or does it gravitate toward the surface or floor?

If you are doing the OCLT because you are SLAMing, your pump should be running 24/7 anyway.

While chlorine in the jug is more dense than water, once it is mixed throughout the bulk pool water you aren't going to see it settle back out.

If sun is on the pool and there is no water flow, FC will be lost faster at the surface than at the bottom so this could cause an FC gradient.

My question is, why is this an issue? It seems obvious that you want to do all tests with the chemicals well mixed.

Generally speaking you should test after the pump has been running for 30 minutes. Otherwise you aren't getting the real picture of your chemistry state.

If you are doing the OCLT because you are SLAMing, your pump should be running 24/7 anyway.

While chlorine in the jug is more dense than water, once it is mixed throughout the bulk pool water you aren't going to see it settle back out.

If sun is on the pool and there is no water flow, FC will be lost faster at the surface than at the bottom so this could cause an FC gradient.

My question is, why is this an issue? It seems obvious that you want to do all tests with the chemicals well mixed.
I was just curious. I ran an OCLT, and passed, but realized my night reading and morning reading were taken with one during pump run time and one when the pump was off. (not SLAMing, just saw some bugs and wanted to be sure I was good)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the responses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.