liquid chlorine degradation

cnatra

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 2, 2014
Houston TX
I have done some forum searches on the subject & realize liquid sodium hypochlorite will degrade over time & at higher temperatures & sun exposure

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...chlorine-go-bad?highlight=chlorine+shelf+life

So having considered all that is it a better idea to go with a 15gallon tank or 30 gallon tank on a Stenner pump install ?

This will be sitting outside by the pool equipment & will get some early morning sun but be in the shade of the house most of the day yet still exposed to
90+ summer ambient air temps

I like the idea of a 30gallon tank for fewer trips to the chlorine store but if it degrades too much over that time frame I'll get the 15 gallon tank

I'll be using 10% liquid chlorine

Thanks

Or you could go with a 30 gallon tank diluted by 50%. It may not use as much chlorine as the 15 gallon without dilution since the degradation of chlorine is also dependent on concentration.

How about a 30 gallon tank, 50% chlorine, 50% water from your pool. That will give your chlorine tank a CYA level half of what your pool is and wont add any CYA. That will only help from the UV rays. Put a fan on it or build a top to go over it to shade it all day. My bleach sits outside in a building that gets hot and I dont notice any percentage loss before the bleach gets used up but mine gets used in about 2 weeks maximum.

Looks like a 30 gallon tank of 50-50 will last you anywhere from 22 to 32 days with FC loss of 3 and 2ppm per day. That gives you 5% liquid chlorine and according to this chart http://www.odysseymanufacturing.com/about_product.htm you dont have anything to worry about. The UV rays will probably eat it up faster than the heat, but thats where the pool water comes in.

If you dilute, you should use water with NO metals, not even trace amounts. Distilled or deionized water would be best, but if you are sure your tap water has virtually no metals then that would be OK. As noted in this link, metals such as iron, copper, cobalt, nickel, zinc, and other hevay metals will rapidly degrade concentrated chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.