Sand Filter Pressure issues

Sep 13, 2008
Scottsdale AZ
I have a Triton 2 sand filter.

After I backwash my pool , and return it to Filter, my pressure base line has always been about 12-14psi.
When the pump is running my returns are alive with high flow.

Today I came back about 1 hour later I notice the lively flow is drasticly reduced.
The pump pressure is now reading 25psi.

I shut the pump off for a minute, and turn it back on and now its about 19psi and the return is lively and my vacuum side cleaner is full of energy.

This last for about 30minutes, until the pressure rises to 25ps, and I back to square one.

Any ideas why the pressure would be high an hour after a backwash, of why it would drop after a power cycle?

Bill

It goes to Zero.
I expect that if it was clogging with debris, that cycling the power would not drop the pressure 8-10psi.
I also would not think running a fairly clean pool for 30 mintues would have the filter clog up.

I think I am going to do the deep cleaning I read on a post here. This has never been done before.

I will repost if this helps.

Bill

I backwash it for a minute or two after it goes clear.
I did the super clean for 15 minutes or so. and it never came clear.
I then Back washed it until it ran clear.
The new base was now 10psi.
My 8 return lines were now blazing with flow and my vac side pool cleaner was on a rampage.
2 hours later the pressure was back up to 25psi. and the return lines were very reduced flow, and the pool cleaner was stalled out.
I then cycled power and the pressure went to 17psi and all the indications were very active again. I suspect now about and hour later the pool will be back to +25psi.

I think tomorrow I will back wash an extended time, and then do deep clean, back wash, and keep doing this until I see the super clean water go dead clean.

It must be over loaded from all the Monsoon dust storms we get in Phoenix, and maybe my back flush cycles were not long enough?? For some reason the back flush is not removing all the debri?

Bill

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 17000 gallon pool.
It has a Trident 2 TR 60 sand filter
The motor is a Pentair Whisper flow, The motor plate says Century Centurion 1 hp and the SF is 1.65

My thoughts were correct, I shut it off last night and it was over 25psi.
This morning I turned it on and it was running sprited at 12psi.
I left for work and an hour later and it was at 13psi.
I know its not a gauge issue as, when it hits 25 psi, the flow looks like its down 60%.

I cant get my head around why it goes up so quickly and turning on the pump the following morning it drops back to a normal clean base level?

Bill

I got deeper into it, and after the deep clean it seemed to get better.
During my last backwash I removed my back wash hose and put it back to filter mode.
After awhile I noticed there was some water coming out of the backflush port.
I remvoed the 2 way valve stem to check the o-rings.
There I found the lower o-ring completely missing. (Looked all over the place cannot locate where it migrated too.
The upper one that would seal off the back flush port was worked and needs replacement.
The missing lower one is most likely the root of my problems.
I have never serviced these o-rings in the 7 years living at this house.

Cheers,

Bill

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.