New Pool balancing chemicals

mvoorn

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2009
I've been doing TFP for a few years with our previous pool, but somehow I still second guess myself. I'd just like a fresh set of eyes to check that I'm doing things right.
We just moved and built new pool, which was filled 11 days ago. I know there will be fluctuations for a while due to new plaster curing so for now, I will post my last two results (with TF-100).
Yesterday 8:30am
CC - 0
FC - 2 (added 160 oz of 8.2% bleach)
Ph - 7.2 (I've been adding MA for the last week to keep it between 7.2 & 7.5 and it seems like it finally stopped creeping up).
TA - 100 (also has been dropping slowly with the balancing of Ph, it was 130 last week)
CH - 110 (added 5lb of hardness plus yesterday, in three increments in a span of 2 hours)

Today's results stayed the same (chlorine is not holding up) but CH did go up to 170.
Questions:
-Normal that chlorine is dropping this much?
-Do I keep raising the CH until I reach 250? Or do I focus on lowering TA?

Thank you!! :)

Yes, 2ppm FC will drop to zero quickly, especially if CYA is 0. Of course if CYA is 40, 2ppm FC is too low anyway.

Yes, shoot for 250 on CH for now, it may creep up on its own for a few weeks with new plaster. Don't lower pH to 7.2 or likely your CSI is going to go too low with CH of 250 or lower. Use PoolMath, fill it all in, and report back what it says for CSI at 7.2. I had this same problem with my pool after replastering.

I think you want to ignore the CH and TA for a little while with new plaster as they will rise as the plaster cures, although bumping the CH up to around 200ppm should be safe.

As Tim said, you chlorine problem is because you do not appear to have added stabilizer. You should add at least 30ppm and eventually target 50ppm due to your location.
How are you adding chlorine?
Are you actually using the inline chlorinator listed in your signature?

I forgot, the PB did add stabilizer, my CYA test on Sunday marked 40.
I'm adding just plain old Walmart liquid bleach: NOOOoOooo to the puck inline chlorination (I should edit that to say 'not in use')!
I'm trying to keep my FC target to 5 (in track with the 40 cya).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.