Salt quantity issues

Feb 17, 2008
I drained about 1/3 of the pool out on Friday due to Calcium Hardness, so after filling I decided to check salt level for the first time since installed at the end of April this year. I got a reading of 5.8 or 3730. I also decided to bring a water sample to the pool store to get readings from them and they actually showed 2800. Now since refilling the pool the Intellichlor is showing orange saying to check levels.

I figured maybe I was not reading the test right so I went with the pool store and added 20lbs of salt. Checked it this evening after running for 24hrs and light is still showing check and when reading the strip it was showing maybe 5.9, but basically about the same reading I had before. I know I shouldn't use the Cell for readings, but it showed fine before draining and I guess I just don't know what reading to go with or what I may be doing wrong.

FC 6.5
CC 0
TC 6.5
pH 7.5
TA 90
CYA 10 (pool store reading - I thought I had 20 when I tested and in the process of adding through sock in skimmer)
CH 273 (saturday pool store reading - I had 320 when I did the test)

All tests above with exception of CH and CYA are done this evening.

If after you drained about 1/3 of your water and refilled and you have a salt reading of 3730 now; it must have been around 5500 before you started to drain your pool.

Just a thought. I'll let people that know SWGs answer.

After replacing 1/3 of your water, your salt level will have fallen to 2/3rds of it's previous value. So, you should have to add between 80 and 140 lbs of salt. You already added 20 lbs, you need at least another 60 lbs, and quite possibly more.

The AquaChek salt test strips are normally the most accurate salt test of the ones you tried, but they can go bad if they get at all damp before use. Logically you should need to add salt and the SWG says it needs more salt, so I would go ahead and add more salt.

waterbear said:
IO would get another tube of salt test strips to verify that yours have not gone bad.

Okay, got a new bottle and still get a reading of 5.8, but this bottle shows that at 3690 and Intellichlor still reading "check levels".

Still at a loss, please help.

Did an acid wash of the Intellichlor couple nights ago, after starting it back up it showed green, meaning good salt level, but the next day it was back to orange. There was no bubbling during the acid wash which meant it was pretty clean to begin with.

Got test results done at the pool store today an shows as 3100. I assuming now that the sensor must be bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.