Rust Stains From Fertilizer - How Do I Remove It?

Aug 7, 2014
Sugar Land, TX
Hi I'm new to the forum. My husband fertilized the yard last week with Ironite. He didn't realize that he had gotten some on the travertine decking as well as a few pellets dropped in the pool where the steps are located. Now I have rust stains on my travertine as well as 3 rust spots in my pool. Is there a safe and effective way to remove it? Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.

For the pool with only 3 spots, a couple of vitamin C tablets rubbed on the stains for a few minutes should remove the stains.

Should also work on the deck if you get the tablets wet, just not sure how widespread the staining is.

Thank you for the quick responses. I will give those a try. I did watch a video about using Vitamin C tabs but it looked like it removed the plaster color. I was hoping to avoid that, however if I'm desperate I will try it. An employee at the pool supply place told me to use lemons or limes. I just tried it and it didn't work. There is a Harbor Freight down the street so I will try that first. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

The pool stain eraser looks interesting. I may have to try that. I have a gunite pool with Primera Stone so I am hoping that will work. Thank you for the suggestion.

The notion on using lemons/limes is that they contain citric acid, which is known to be less effective on rust stains. I assume that also means its milder, so you may try that first if you are concerned. I have a few iron spots (from dissolved nails-don't ask) in the pool, I am going to try Vitamin C on them right now...

Dissolved nails? Hmmm. I hope the vitamin C works for you. Another friend told me that they picked up a pumice stone at the pool supply store and that worked for them and it didn't change their plaster. I may have to try that next as the lime did absolutely nothing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.