Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: May have used more 20 Mule Team than I really needed...

1. Back To Top    #1

May have used more 20 Mule Team than I really needed...

Got my borate strips today and water tested less than 10ppm. Added 3 boxes to pool, then compensated the high pH with acid. pH is fine now but borates register closer to 80 than 50 - maybe around 65 - 75.

Pool size is just shy of 7,000 gallons. Will this cause any problems?
    7000 gallon IG freeform w/ 6 ft. spa, 21 ft weeping wall, Hayward SP4020NS Northstar pump, Colorlogic LED’s, DE6020 filter and H400IDL2 400,000btu heater. Aqua logic 8 zone controller with Aqua Rite salt chlorine generator, Stonescapes pebble finish – Aqua Blue and flagstone coping, stamped/stained concrete deck

2. Back To Top    #2
    Having your borates around 65-70 shouldn't cause any significant problems.

I don't think your test strips are reading accurately. I calculate that increasing from 10 to 50 in a 7000 gallon pool would take 20.6 pounds of borax. A box is 4 3/4 lbs, and three boxes is 14 1/4 lbs. Three boxes should have increased your borates level by 28 ppm but your test strips showed an increase of 55 or 60.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    It will take about 21lbs of borax (just under 4.5 boxes) to raise 7000 gallons to 50 ppm from 10 ppm. and will need about 1 gallon, 1 qt. and a cup of acid. This is for the decahydrate (20 mule team).

For the pentahydrate form it will take 18 1/3 lbs and require 1 gallon, 1 qt. and 3/4 pt. of acid based on the dosing charts for Proteam Supreme.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. I tested again this morning and reading was about 40ppm. Maybe I tested too soon after adding borax initially.

I don't know if it's just me but the water seems to feel even more silky than with the salt alone. Water looks beautiful!
    7000 gallon IG freeform w/ 6 ft. spa, 21 ft weeping wall, Hayward SP4020NS Northstar pump, Colorlogic LED’s, DE6020 filter and H400IDL2 400,000btu heater. Aqua logic 8 zone controller with Aqua Rite salt chlorine generator, Stonescapes pebble finish – Aqua Blue and flagstone coping, stamped/stained concrete deck