Heat Pump Question

Hey everyone,

We're getting ready to purchase a heat pump and can't decide on a brand. Pool is basically 20x40 with a small spa connected, 25,000gal total. We live in the Florida panhandle, pool is on the north side of the house with an enclosure. I think I would get the biggest available and, from what I can find, the ranges are from 130,000BTU to 143,000BTU with a COP of 5.5 to 6.5 depending on the brand. The closest pool store is pushing the Nirvana E140 (140,000BTU/6.3COP) at about $4800 but is that much better than a Hayward HP21404T (140,000BTU/6.0COP) for $3500 or should I be looking at the AquaCal SQ175 (143,000BTU/6.5COP) for $5000? How much of a difference is this 10,000 or 3,000BTUs and how much of a difference is a COP of 5.5 vs 6.5 or even 6.0 vs 6.5? Am I missing something or should I be considering something else?

Thanks,
Richard

You say you have a spa attached, do you plan on heating the spa at times other than when it 80+ degrees out and when you have plenty of waiting time before you want to get in it? Remember the heat pump relies upon the outside temps to be pretty warm in order for the heat pump to work efficiently.

You could be better served for the spa to have natural gas/propane.

We pick up a factory refurb unit off of ebay that was one third the cost of what the local pool company was offering as their best deal.

We did have an issue with the flow sensor but the manufacturer swapped the whole unit under the factory warranty.

Paul,

With the kids using the hot tub takes some planning. I figure we would have a minimum of 2 hours if not longer before hopping in. I can divert the water flow to the spa portion only and am hoping that I can get the spa heated to 100 from 85 or 90 in that amount of time. Is that completely off base? I think the spa is about 600 gallons. Propane is just too expensive for the pool. I though about getting a propane unit for the spa only but then I feel like I'm going overboard with a heat pump, a gas heater and a propane tank.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still curious to know if anyone has experience with this Nirvana brand of heat pump and if its really $1300 better than the Hayward.

Update.

After speaking with Nirvana's US sales representative and a few other personnel with the company I decided to go with the Nirvana E140 Heat Pump. I couldn't be happier. Yes, it is 80+ degrees out right now and I will have to see how this thing works in the fall and winter but for now it heated the spa from 81 to 102 in less than 30 minutes and the pool from 81 to 87 in less than 12 hours. So far I'm happy. We also figured out that 100 is plenty hot us in the spa. And the pool doesn't need to be so warm either. Now that the spa is warm it typically takes about 10 or 15 minutes to get to 100 and we are able to enjoy it while it is heating up. I hope we'll be happy in the winter and I'll give another update then but we are certainly happy for now.

Thanks for all the help.

Once your outside air temps start falling your heat up times will take longer and longer. Not sure where you are located or we could give you more info about how well it's going to heat thru the cooler months. I can tell you this that I'm in FL and heat pumps aren't great here in the winter. I get lots of calls from people looking to change it out to gas as they are tired of waiting for the heat pump to heat the pool/spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.