Need help finding options to replace my oil pool heater for an indoor pool.

Aug 6, 2014
Long Island, NY
Pool newbie here, looking for some advice.

I have an indoor 60x10x5 20k gal pool that is currently out of commission because the heater, Teledyne Laar xl-2 has developed a severe leak. Problem is that the house is currently only
supplied by heating oil, propane, and electric. Spoke to a few companies about oil fired pool boilers and have come up with maybe only one company that still makes it and maybe not even that one.
Electric heating is out of the question, because of cost. On long island, my house's electric bill in the summer approaches $1k/month. I was also told that solar doesn't make sense because it only raises the temp
by 15 degrees from ambient temperature, which normally is like soil temperature of 40-50 degrees, given the fact that its an indoor pool.

My question, to all the readers out there, is what are my options. I really don't want to fix the old heater since its 20 yrs old, not efficient, and prob will break in the near future. I have heard recommendations of heat pumps installed
on the inside of the pool to both heat the pool and to remove the humidity. Don't know if anyone has done that. We are not avid swimmers but would like to dip in every once in a while. Also having an indoor pool sounds good but don't know
if its feasible to run it in the winter time. We do have a cover on it and its been out of commission for like 10 month already. I was going to try to rig up something to bypass the heater just so my pool doesn't turn into a glob of green water.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ace

Hey Ace, Welcome to TFP.

BY all means isolate any potential oil in-leakage to the pool. A heat pump won't do a lot for you up there I don't think, Perhaps more since it is indoors, but they really aren't great in cold climates...generally speaking.

I know permitting, and regulation is a nightmare out on LI, but is propane an option? It's expensive here in TX so it may be outrageous up there. Sorry, I'm no more help, but that's all I can think of.

You say you have propane, so get a propane heater to replace the oil fired unit. I haven't run across an oil unit in many many years. Not sure about installing a heat pump indoors. I have not heard of it but not to say it isn't done somewhere. However, a heat pump does rely upon the outside heat to generate heat for the water. So I would think indoors would not allow you to heat very well.

Are the pipes connecting to the oil heater PVC? If so, you can cut them and install two 90 degree elbows and run your pump.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I was told by a pool guy, that indoor propane heaters are prohibited on Long Island. So that option is out. I would have loved to put in a propane heater, and maybe convert to gas (should I convert from oil to gas, later on). Converting to gas maybe a option but since we live off the road by about 1000 ft, dragging that length of gas line in would cost me 10k to start (already got an estimate) plus the installation of gas meters, etc etc...we're looking at a huge huge bill.

The Teledyne heater is currently leaking pool water and it may be a cracked header or dried gasket. But its probably more than that since its leaking out of the back and the headers are not even getting wet. I just dont know how the other owners are getting by once their oil heater breaks. Are there anyone making oil pool heaters anymore? There are so many homes on Long Island with oil pool heaters.

Regards to the pipes, yes they are PVC. But the person working on it before has it all tightly bundled together. Plus they used flexible PVC for the main pool lines. Hate those! Anyway, I want to preserve as much of the original piping as possible while being able to get a shunt in there with valves to open and close. It looks tight.

Argh... this is really getting frustrating....

Ace

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I was told by a pool guy, that indoor propane heaters are prohibited on Long Island. So that option is out. I would have loved to put in a propane heater, and maybe convert to gas (should I convert from oil to gas, later on). Converting to gas maybe a option but since we live off the road by about 1000 ft, dragging that length of gas line in would cost me 10k to start (already got an estimate) plus the installation of gas meters, etc etc...we're looking at a huge huge bill.

Where is the current heater located, inside or out? Not sure why a propane heater can't be installed inside. You mean to say that you can't have a propane heater indoors? What about a furnace? You can't run a furnace off propane on LI? Why can't the heater sit outside? Also I'm surprised the gas company wouldn't hook you all up for free as long as you had two pieces of gas fired appliances. After all, you are going to be spending money with them for the use of the gas. I guess they do things differently in your neck of the woods.

The Teledyne heater is currently leaking pool water and it may be a cracked header or dried gasket. But its probably more than that since its leaking out of the back and the headers are not even getting wet. I just dont know how the other owners are getting by once their oil heater breaks. Are there anyone making oil pool heaters anymore? There are so many homes on Long Island with oil pool heaters.

I have not seen any oil fired pool heater on the market for some time now. It's either natural or propane.

Regards to the pipes, yes they are PVC. But the person working on it before has it all tightly bundled together. Plus they used flexible PVC for the main pool lines. Hate those! Anyway, I want to preserve as much of the original piping as possible while being able to get a shunt in there with valves to open and close. It looks tight.

Argh... this is really getting frustrating....

Ace

You still should be able to cut the pipes and loop them together to stop the leak. Sounds like a leaking heat exchanger.

ps0303,

hahaha, you've obviously never lived in NY or on Long Island :)

LI utilities don't do anything for free and LIPA has been ripping off the population ever since it was formed! Ever since the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant fiasco, Long Islanders get the dubious priveledge of paying some of the highest utility rates in the entire USA. One of the many, many reasons I left NY long ago.

Ace_pilot,

I think your only option is an electric heater or bite the bullet and install a new oil heater. I sincerely doubt your local town will allow any significant gas equipment installations.

ps0303,

hahaha, you've obviously never lived in NY or on Long Island :)

LI utilities don't do anything for free and LIPA has been ripping off the population ever since it was formed! Ever since the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant fiasco, Long Islanders get the dubious priveledge of paying some of the highest utility rates in the entire USA. One of the many, many reasons I left NY long ago.

Ace_pilot,

I think your only option is an electric heater or bite the bullet and install a new oil heater. I sincerely doubt your local town will allow any significant gas equipment installations.

I've visited and that's good enough for me.

Yes, the pool heater is located indoors. Have to get a definitive answer on the use of a propane heater inside the house. But I did call another pool guy and he was also unsure about using a propane heater.

Supposely a company makes them in PA: http://www.thermodynamicsboiler.com/
An oil fired heater for indoor placement. Quoted cost about $4500 without installation. Has anyone heard of them with reliability? Then again, may not have a choice anyway.

Ace

Anyone? Anyone?

Called another pool company. They don't have any recommendations except to rebuilt my boiler. Maybe it's time to get my hands dirty. Afterall, all the parts, except the heat exchanger, is available on line. I guess I have nothing to lose at this point. Just keep my fingers crossed that is as simple as a few bad O-rings.

Ace

Wish I had some better ideas. Anyway you slice it you either have a big DIY project on your hands or you have to spend a lot of money to replace the heater.

Growing up on LI, I only had one friend with a pool (IG vinyl liner) that was opened and closed on the usual summer schedule. I knew no one personally that had an indoor pool. That being 30 years ago, an indoor pool was something you only saw on "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous". So maybe times have changed but it seems to me that a $5k oil fired heater is just part of the cost you have to absorb for having what would be considered a luxury setup there in the chilly Northeast. Pools on LI never made much sense to me considering the close proximity to so many nice beaches.

Best of luck to you if you go the DIY route, post pictures because we all love to see pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you ever considered a geothermal heat pump?
There is a 30% unlimited tax credit available until 2016 for residential heating/cooling. Not sure if it will apply to a pool heater though.
It is pricey, but with the tax credit and huge savings over oil, it will pay for itself in time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.