Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hardness Reducing Products

1. Back To Top    #1

Hardness Reducing Products

My CH is in the 600's which I manage by keeping my pH and TA on the low side.

While not an emergency, I would like to lower the CH. Dilution seems to be the preferred method, but a recent Google search discovered some products that claim to lower Calcium Hardness (see http://www.protechpoolsupplies.com/S...ardReducer.pdf or http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemic...dness-Reducer/ for example).

I've not seen this class of products discussed here. Do they work as claimed? What evil awaits my otherwise perfect water if I use it instead of dilution?

Thanks
    Marc
    My Pool
    15k Gal Gunite Pool w/8 ft Spa w/Spillover
    Hayward DE Filter + DE Separation Tank
    Legend Sweep, Pentair Gas Heater
    Stenner Metering Pump for Liquid Chlorine Injection (15 gallon tank)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hardness Reducing Products

Those both look like sequestrants. They don't really remove the calcium, rather they transform it into a form that can't cause calcium scaling. The sequestrant breaks down slowly, so you need to use maintenance doses to keep the calcium sequestered. Over time the cost can add up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hardness Reducing Products

Prior to diluting, you may want to check your source water calcium. It can tend to be high in the Austin area and diluting won't work unless you have a water softener.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.