a few bugs present, but CC comes back as 0

ChewBiscuit

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
So, I have a few waterbugs, mostly the ones that look like skinny roaches and skate across the surface, plus one boatman.

FC: 8
CC: 0
Ph: 8.2
TA: 90-100
CYA: 50-60

Ph was high today so I added 30 oz muriatic to bring that down; before today it had consistently ran around 7.8. Also added some bleach to stay on the high end of my normal range.

CC is consistently 0, only rarely does it come back as 0.5, but I've been reading around here that bugs may indicate algae.

I had about a dozen of the skaters and 1 of the boatmen, netted most of them out yesterday then gave them the underside of my shoe, today saw a couple and did the same.

So, question is, should I be concerned about the presence of algae, considering the reading of 0 for CC yet also given the presence of a few bugs, or should I just keep on keeping on?

Edit: I'm using TF-100 for my test results

I am not sure why this rumor seems to be so prevalent ...
Having algae does not necessitate the presence of CCs ... and having CCs does not necessitate the presence of algae.

How does your water look? You could do an OCLT to verify there is not some hidden algae outbreak.
I have noticed a few bugs in my pool as well, I am not sure where they come from, but I do not think they necessarily mean there is algae in the water.

I am not sure why this rumor seems to be so prevalent ...
Having algae does not necessitate the presence of CCs ... and having CCs does not necessitate the presence of algae.

How does your water look? You could do an OCLT to verify there is not some hidden algae outbreak.
I have noticed a few bugs in my pool as well, I am not sure where they come from, but I do not think they necessarily mean there is algae in the water.

I may have made some incorrect assumptions. I was going off of the rule that CC of 0 to 0.5 generally means your water is clean, while 1 or above indicates a problem. I read a few threads that seemed to suggest waterbugs could also indicate problems, and thought the two conflicted.

Maybe I read a bit too much into it.

Water is sparkling clear.

CC alone doesnt mean there is an actual problem. It is a indicator that there is a possible problem that needs further testing.

If your OCLT is good, clear water and less than .5 CC then you are good.

FWIW,
I KNOW my water is good, and I get a few bugs on mine too. Now if you had 1000 bugs, that might be an idicator for more thurough investigation.

CC alone doesnt mean there is an actual problem. It is a indicator that there is a possible problem that needs further testing.

If your OCLT is good, clear water and less than .5 CC then you are good.

FWIW,
I KNOW my water is good, and I get a few bugs on mine too. Now if you had 1000 bugs, that might be an idicator for more thurough investigation.

Makes sense, hadn't thought of doing the OCLT, I'll try that out.

Thanks for the responses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.