LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I just cleaned my DE tank and now there is a small leak.

Hairline about 2 - 3 mm long. I think it was plugged by DE or organic debris before I cleaned the tank.

Is it OK to patch these from the inside?

Any recommendations as to what type of glue?

Thanks.

Hayward DE.

Hal

What is the D.E. tank made of? I know many people here will recommend not to patch it because of the pressure inside a filter tank, but if it held fine before I see not reason for it not to hold now. I would try something like J.B. Weld on the inside of the tank. If it's fiberglass, then a boating store like West Marine should have a fiberglass repair kit that you could probably use. The other option would be to just plug it up again with Crud. :roll:

You should really replace the tank or filter, but sometimes that's not "in the budget" at the time. Remember, any patch you make now is only temporary and the tank should still be replaced as soon as possible.

HTH,
Adam

By the way ... I patched this from the inside.
I cleaned the inside of the filter housing with sand paper and acetone where the repair was located.
I applied a patch made of 1.5 mm plastic sheet (polystyrene, I think, scrap from an old project) bonded with Superglue waterproof epoxy.
The patch was about 8x9 inches for the pinhole sized leak. No mercy.

No leak two years later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.