Planning for Pool Closing :(

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
I know it's a little early but this may be the first time we close our pool ourselves.

Here is a thread from last year, where I documented all that the PB did when closing the pool. http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...in-Toronto-Updated-Pics-and-Procedure-PB-Used

From those that have done this before, please can I get any tips? I am pretty handy and able, so not afraid of the work. The PB charges $500 to close and I really don't want to spend that much.

They had use this blower to blow the lines. Is it worth just buying it? Any suggestions for any other blower that I could get? Maybe something that has multiples uses aside from just pool closing? We do have a sprinkler / irrigation system that we also plan to close ourselves for the first time.

Cyclone Liner Vac 3 HP 120 Volt http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00401349034334.htm?ReviewPage=1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

That is expensive! I think you could get a really nice shop vac for a lot less money that would do the job just as well. If you read some of the pool closing threads, most folks use a shop vac instead of buying a specialty vacuum. Maybe some of our service tech members will comment on this for you.

I'm going to be doing the same thing. I tried to close to my pool last fall with my own tools. Didn't work. I successfully blew out the bottom drain, and maybe the returns, but I had standing water that I could see in my SWG. So there was still lots of water in there. I had the pool company come to just blow out the lines for $200. They used the same orange blower. I'm going to buy one this fall for $300. You need high volume and decent pressure to blow the lines out.
Did you read the reviews on that blower? Outstanding.

I have a huge air compressor and hooked it to the fitting on my pump and tried using that. Not so good. I also tried the shopvac- couldn't even get the main drain to bubble. Leaf blower- forget about it. For less than the cost of one closing, you'll have the right tool for the job.

Don't forget to put empty bottles in the skimmer and pour a couple gallons of RV anti-freeze in there too.

On my setup, I had to take out the Jandy check valve flapper and turn it around- so the air from the skimmer return would blow out the rest of the system.

Edit- I just found this article: http://blog.intheswim.com/how-to-blow-out-pool-lines-for-winter/

I have never blown out my main drain, my understanding is, use blower as much as you can, then close the ball valve, then open ball valve and pour in a gallon of anti freeze. I live in an area that goes down to minus 30 celcius at times in winter. I have never had a problem. Local companys charge around 250-300 to close an inground with cover, yet it only takes 1 to 2 hours. IMO that is way to much and I will be charging significantly cheaper.

I just use an air compressor. Once you see bubbles coming through the lines, then give it a minute or so until you plug them. The water will be pushed out of the lines before you see alot of air bubbles, so once you have alot of bubbles coming through, I believe most of the water is gone. As to blowing out the main drain, I always do. I suppose it is extremely unlikely that the water in the drain line near the bottom of the pool would ever freeze, but I don't want to take that chance. As a double precaution, once I have the return lines and drain / skimmer lines blown and plugged, I also add a gallon of antifreeze to each line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.