Heater does not shut off normally - runs to OH

chef_m

Mar 10, 2012
Marietta, GA
Equipment: Dynasty Spa 6-person Classic series; 2-speed 240v main pump, 1-speed 240v pump 2, 120v ozone, 5.5 kW heater, duplex panel (VS402), controlled by a new (2013 replacement board) Balboa VS501. SSID: 100 63 43 All 10 dip switches OFF.

Hi. I received a used spa as part of a house I bought. The previous owners had just replaced the control board. My only other spa experience had been an inground attached to a pool, so this style of control is all new to me. I have spent numerous hours to get through most of the learning curve to obtain the correct reference materials but I'm still stuck.

When a heating cycle begins, the heater will start correctly but will not turn off normally. Here are the two cases so far:

1) Standard mode. Turn breaker on to start power. Spa starts: priming, then filtration cycle. All fine. Set temp to 101. Heater starts. Close cover of spa. Come back in an hour or so, pump still running, temp shows 103. Set temp is still 101. Heater still on. Hmmm. Come back in another hour, temp shows 107. Set temp still 101. Heater still on. Come back in 30 mins, OH condition on panel, pump off. heater off. Temp 110.

2) Economy mode. Tried this yesterday starting with water temp equal to the set temp of 101. 2 hour filtration cycle set. Filtration cycle kicks in. Close spa cover. Apparently heater starts. 2 hrs later, filtration cycle ends, spa temp 105, set temp 101. So I figure that the only thing stopping this from reaching OH is that the filtration cycle ended and since it was in EC mode, it was the EC programming shut off the heater/pump not the runaway heater (OH).

Have gone into test mode, and both M7 sensors were matching each other and the water temp. Also have removed the cartridge filter wondering if flow had anything to do with it. No change.

Next was going to try plugging / unplugging sensors 5-6 times (with power off, naturally) to see if it's a contact kind of issue. But doubt it.

Doesn't the thermostat control come thru the M7 sensors?

Any ideas?

Problem resolved -- turns out that when the replacement board was installed, the 2-speed motor was wired backwards with hi-speed and low-speed reversed. This caused the high-speed to run whenever the low-speed was supposed to be on, and this caused the water to continue to heat even *without* the heater being on because the high-speed mode heats the water as the pump gets so hot on high-speed.

Thanks to Tom at spadepot.com for figuring this out for me! LOL. As it turned out, the next day I found the original owners documentation. There was an insert page warning the user not to run the high-speed excessively as this would heat the water!

As instructed, I simply switched the wire spades on the 2-speed main pump itself and everything has settled nicely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.