Sand in pool at start up

May 30, 2012
Hello all,

I replaced my filter with a Hayward S244T top mount sand filter, the bearings went out on the Hayward Super Pump for the third time so I replaced the pump with a Pentair 1hp "direct replacement pump" The Pentair seems to be a much better pump and the motor is beefier than the Smith motor on the hayward pump.

I purchased the sand from a locally owned pool store and specifically asked for the No. 20 sand.
Everything went well for a few weeks but now when the pump is turned on I get about a pound of sand (its being caught in a mesh bag so I know its sand) through the return.
I have the top off the filter and am draining it for a look-see, any advice on what to do next?

After removing the sand and the laterals I found that when the assembly was put together at the factory they stripped out one of the screws. I shot a photo of the stripped out screw and will see if Hayward will warranty it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.