"Floating Liner"????

morojo

Apr 5, 2008
Not sure where to post this question, however. My vinyl liner in my inground pool has quite a bit of air space or maybe water behind it mostly around curve where steel wall meets the sloping part of the concrete bottom. There also seems to be a few other areas where the liner is not tight ot the bottom of the pool. Not sure why this is??? Is this normal or do we need to hook up a suction unit behind liner??? Is water getting behind liner?? Not sure if it was like this to begin with or could be getting worse I'm thinking?? Help Please. New pool and liner last fall.

morojo, welcome top TFP!!

If the liner is 'tight as a bow string', the liner didn't stretch into the corners as it should :x If it's 'squishy', you probably have water collecting beneath the liner and should try to remove it before it causes wrinkles, and keep an eye on it as it drains to prevent wrinkles.

A little more info on your pool would help :thumleft:

We can help you with this :goodjob: but the more info we have about your pool, the better we can help you Pool School, (in my sig) is a great place to start.

We will be here to help :!:

Thanks fro your input. I have 1 16' x 32' steel wall, vinyl lined pool that slopes from 3' deep to about 5' deep. Approx. 15000 galllons. I live in London, Ontario, Canada. Pool was built last July, 2007. Original liner leaked so it was replaced late in the season. The new one seems to hold water but now this problem underneath??? One main drain, skimmer, side suction port and two return lines. 6' curved steps. Pentair whisperflow pump 1.5hp with pentair clean and clear plus cartridge filter. Hope this info helps. With the weight of the water in the pool how do we get other pressures be they air or water from underneath??

At least we seem to be on the same schedule :lol: (I've logged on the past 2 days within an hour of your post)

Again it comes down to 'how does the liner feel when you GENTLY step on it?' - if a little pressure with your foot is met with strong resistance, the liner didn't fully conform to the floor/ bottom cove --- if it feels like jello, then it's water under the liner :(

I'm thinking that it's the former over the latter. As I figure, you had a new liner dropped on a cooler day (and perhaps even a cloudy day) late in the season. The liner never got warm enough to stretch into those corners and the cold water added to the pool 'locked' it into that shape (I can assure you that even with a heater, you are unlikely to be able to heat the water enough to give the liner the stretch that a hot sunny day would). It is a very new liner and pumping out the pool and resetting the liner on a nice hot sunny day might/ could fix this - the liner has ~ all it's original stretch still in it. If it's not water under the liner, the liner in those places is under tremendous pressure and eventually being a little too forceful with the brush or vacuum or someone with talons for toenails ( :puker: :pukel:) will cause a rip :(

I'm not telling you to drain and refill the pool! But, depending on why the liner is like that, it is an option that may solve the problem.

Have you spoken with the installer about this - you should still be under warranty :idea:

I wish you well with this and will offer all the help I can to get you to a trouble free pool :-D

Yeah, the liner does feel pretty squishy or spongy and i don't recall it being that far off the sides or bottom at the beginning of the season (not sure though). It appears to be further away in some spots more than others. It really isn't all that tight in the problem areas. Will certainly talk to PB this week and see what they say. They have been quite accomodating thus far ( putting in new liner etc.) Thhanks for your help.

When they built your pool, did they hit water? If so, how deep? Where is your water table now? One concern about removing the water from behind the liner is that it may cause too much stress on the liner as the liner stretches into the void.

Yeah, no water when digging, dry as a bone. We have hhad quite of bit of rain lately however, but the property slopes away pretty good and I receive no runoff from other neighbours. Still not quite sure what's the problem

What is the water table like where you live?

Ours is very high in our area. When we bought our pool, the liner was really floating. Our PB lined our walls with some kind of foam in between the walls and the liner. As the water table rose due to the amount of water this spring, the foam floated and caused all kinds of problems.

To remedy the situation, the pb took out our liner, removed the foam, and placed a subpump under the pool for when we get a lot of rain. That way we can pump the water off to our french drain.

A lot of people in our area have had issues with their liners this past spring/summer but we have also had a LOT of water and have a very high water table.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.