Is it normal?

hpdad

Apr 4, 2013
South California
My sand filter is flowing weak lately. So, I decided to give it a clean. When I opened the top part of the sand container, I had found that whole bunch of dirty stuff inside the lid. I cleaned it. Then I saw the water inside the tank is so dirty, like dark brown. There is about half of inch of drossy/sediment on top of the sand. I pick it out as much as I could. Closed the tank top, wasted it but the water came out clear. So, I turned on the filter. At the inlet, I saw dark brown water flowing back to the pool. I used the hose to catch (what I could) that and ran it out side. Can't believe how much dirty the water is. After that, the water was clean.

Why the filter throwing dirty water back to the pool?

I guess the dirty water is supposed to come out when I used wasted function. For some reason, it didn't work. As a result, the dirty stayed in the tank and blow back to the pool????

You didn't mention anything about backwashing and rinsing. Those should should have been your first steps. You only need to open the top to perform a deep clean, which isn't what you did there.

First, set the lever to backwash. With that filter, I typically run it about a minute or so. Just watch the output and when it turns clear, you're done. Then set the lever to rinse. I usually run it about 30 seconds or so. Set it back to filter and you should see your output go back to normal. If not, then resort to the suggestion divin dave gave you.

Remember to always turn off the pump while moving the lever otherwise you can damage the unit.

Running with the lever on waste does nothing for this situation. Waste routes the water directly from the pool to the waste port, completely bypassing the filter.

I am at work right now, but after I was reading this, I think I know why. It was my DUMB mistake.

The process is "filter - backwashing - rinse" and I have been doing that since I have the pool last year.

After came back from 2 weeks vacation (I set timer but the pool was still filthy because the water vaporized and about getting below the skimmer), there were many things to do so I lost my mine. Instead of backwashing, I did "filter - waste - rinse". No wonder such the filthy water stuck in the tank.

Have 2 questions though:

When you guys rinse after backwashing, do you guys close or leave the outlet open? I always closed it when I rinse but I saw on you tube people leave it open

When you guy vacuum the pool, do you set the filter on waste or set on filter?

I also don't vac to waste unless there is a HUGE mess (never happened yet :) ). With only a 4k gallon pool, and entire vac session would lower the water WAY too much.

Yeah, as stated above, rinse also purges through the backwash port. If you've attempted to rinse with the cap on, you've probably already damaged something unless you were lucky. Didn't it sound weird? I can't imagine it sounded normal. I've accidentally forgotten to open the return line valve before turning the pump on and i knew in 1 second something was wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.