Calling the masters...black algae dots

Mar 11, 2014
Orlando
Well the troublefreepool was going quite well after a month and a half...however Im noticing a growth in black algae on the floor....I had always thought these were just cracks in the pool surface and damaged surface, now its increasing. So I'm guessing that maybe I never fully killed the algae that was in the pool and thinking that it was just normal wear and tear....

I've read you need to slam the pool and brush with a wire brush diligently everyday , however it is a painted pool and it looks like most the black algae is attached to where the paint has either peeled up or is cracking. So knowing that I cant use a steel wire brush , what can I do >??

CYA - 40
FC ~ 5
CC ~ 0.5
Total alk - 140
PH - 7.4

iUgyr4U.jpg

okay I think I figured out my own problem , apparently my CYA has quickly disappeared from the massive rainfall we have been having in central florida. So the chlorine is properly getting eaten up as quickly as Im throw it in, from the sun. Also I noticed my ph raised to 7.6, so I'll have to lower that down as well. Can I use a skimmer sock to throw the stabilizer into the pool?

Can I use a skimmer sock to throw the stabilizer into the pool?
Adding CYA via sock method means putting the CYA in a sock and hanging it in the skimmer (careful to not restrict water flow) or hanging the sock in front of a return. Hanging in front of the return is the best idea, imho, for most situations.

You could try a trichlor puck (or maybe a pumice stone?) attached to the end if a pole to scrub the algae.

Having the painted surface does create some delima, as you are aware.

- - - Updated - - -

Please add something like "painted pool" in your sig for us :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
haha sorry I will update that for yall. I appreciate the response, and I understand the method of adding CYA to the pool , my question is can I use a skimmer sock instead of a nylon stocking type sock to hang it in front of a return jet?

Also Ill be getting tricholor puck today to help the process ... is it a good idea to put it in a sock or wear gloves , would it damage my skin or irritate to hold the puck ? I see you said attached to a pole, does the pool store carry an adapter to hold the puck ?

Thanks again!

I just use an old cotton sock so the skimmer sock should work just fine. What did you find your CYA level to be at ??

The pucks are pretty strong and wearing gloves would be a good idea but not a necessity.

Don't know of any adapter to hold the tablet, just need to rig something up. The trick is to remember if you are tying it up it's going to be shrinking as it's used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.