2 Speed vs Variable Pump for small pool?

ssml11

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2014
Miami/Florida
I am building a small 10k gallon 12x24 rectangular pool and I am debating whether to go for a 2 speed or a variable speed pump.

Some factors I am considering between the two are cost, energy consumption, reliability, etc.
I read I could run a 2 speedy in low 24/7...would that be overkill on my electric bill? I already read variable pumps require lots of surge protectors and stuff.

I've been debating this back and forth...what do you recommend for my build? Any pumps in mind you'd care to mention? How much HP?

What schedule do you recommend to run a 1hp 2 speed? Also, I see pumps like superflo 2 speed for for around $550 vs a variable counterpart can go for maybe $200 more. I really don't see much $$ there...but for the sake of simplicity if a 2 speed will still save me electricity then I think I will go for it.

I run my two-speed 95% of the time on low. Once it's primed on high, I check the filter pressure I switch to low. I've got a basic T101 timer and a high/low toggle switch I mounted on the motor. The only time I'm on high speed is prime the pump after I clean the prefilter or to check the pressure, other than that I'm on low. I replaced my single speed 3/4 hp with a two-speed 3/4hp.

Here's how I have set it up: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/59063-Purchased-a-SQL1072-3-4-HP-2-Speed-115V

I run my two-speed 95% of the time on low. Once it's primed on high, I check the filter pressure I switch to low. I've got a basic T101 timer and a high/low toggle switch I mounted on the motor. The only time I'm on high speed is prime the pump after I clean the prefilter or to check the pressure, other than that I'm on low. I replaced my single speed 3/4 hp with a two-speed 3/4hp.

Interesting setup...I would love to duplicate that. That way I don't have to manually babysit and switch to low speed.

I do something similar to bobodaclown but with more automation. I have a TightWatt2 Timer that I have configured to run 15 minutes on high and then drop down to low for 10 hours. If you prefer Intermatic timers, they make the P1352ME which is similar to the TightWatt2.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you have a pool the size of mine! 24 hours on low is cheaper than 8 hours on high, and seems just right to keep the pool clean. That said, I have considered backing it off a little, but not until it cools off. :)

OP says 10k gallon 12x24.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Superflo 1HP 2-speed can be found for under $450. BTW, it comes with union fittings for easier plumbing and has a switch on the motor.

I used to manually control mine. I would make sure it was primed on high and then leave it on low speed on the timer. I left it like that for months in the winter. Then in the summer when I wanted solar heat, I would leave the pump on high speed. Now the automation automatically switches speeds for solar when needed.

Thanks for the Feedback. I am now just opening a new Thread now with the actual drawing from the engineer with what they recommend. Fee free to check it out under the title "Finally here's the Diagram - Thoughts? -Pump Selection?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.