Sundek or Plaster what comes first

I had to have the deck poured first for inspection purposes. That being said, I'm glad it is this order. The deck pour (as with any concrete job) has a certain 'mess' aspect to it. I'd rather have them cleaning the excess concrete off the shotcrete than the new plaster. They were physically "in" the pool to correctly place and concrete the cantilever forms, and again, I'd rather have an entire crew of workers walking around the shotcrete floor than potentially scuffing the plaster.

I agree it is messy, but sundek is a concert topping the deck has been in for two weeks..You would think he wouldn't want the pebble people running across the deck with equipment and spikes

I had to have the deck poured first for inspection purposes. That being said, I'm glad it is this order. The deck pour (as with any concrete job) has a certain 'mess' aspect to it. I'd rather have them cleaning the excess concrete off the shotcrete than the new plaster. They were physically "in" the pool to correctly place and concrete the cantilever forms, and again, I'd rather have an entire crew of workers walking around the shotcrete floor than potentially scuffing the plaster.

I agree it is messy, but sundek is a concert topping the deck has been in for two weeks..You would think he wouldn't want the pebble people running across the deck with equipment and spikes

I gotcha - same thing I'm going through then. I'm in the "cure" stage for my concrete deck, prior to applying the heat/slip resistant spray deck. I assumed you hadn't poured the concrete portion yet.

Yea i think Mr PB didn't order the pebble in time..here is the pic below.

2014-07-29163600deckcomplete_zps1265701a.jpg

Our deck was poured and stamped before the plaster. In CA, everything has to be signed off by the inspector before the plaster can be installed. Their is no post inspection for the plaster or the pool after it has been filled with water. The inspector assumes that once the plaster is installed, they will immediately fill it with water. Also, the plaster subs that finished my stonescapes did a very good job of preparation and covered the entire deck before they started. I had no plaster stains on my deck or poured in place concrete coping.

My PB people only show up for a day then we don't see anyone for two weeks. Is that a normal process, 10 weeks to build a 30 foot pool, seems like a long time. They have poured a foundation and framed a home behind me in the time it has taken to build this pool...

Well - I love your deck and pool and huge back yard. Our PB told us he is pouring the deck first and applying the salt finish to the deck before the plaster - partially so we could finalize our plaster color choice AFTER the deck is in and make sure we still agree with the color choice. That did make sense to me as the plaster would be one of the most difficult thing to redo, in my opinion. I had to laugh at your great frame of reference for time (the house behind you having foundation and framing completed) We drive by the same here plus a house that started a pool 7 weeks after us and they expect to put water in this week. I just repeat the PB Mantra - "but your pool is going to be a quality show piece" ....it doesn't really make me feel better but it does make me laugh. - Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It would be rare to do plaster before deck in a gunite or shotcrete pool. Note vinyl pools are generally the opposite.

There are several reasons but the simple one is that it's easyer to protect a deck than a pool. In California the order is in large part dictated by the inspection requirements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.