Trying to make things simple

Jul 27, 2014
Lexington, SC
I would like to make my pool maintenance much simpler. Am using BBB and with the SC sunshine and heat, it is a daily chore to keep the pool chlorine leveled and the PH in range. At times I miss a day or 3 for travel and the algae kicks in. With the 20K gallon pool, and sand filter, is there anything that can be done to make the maintenance tasks less daily? Like going to a salt water setup? SWG may help but not sure. Help please! :swim:

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

A pool is like a pet, you have to feed it everyday. Chlorine is lost to the sun and organics everyday and must be replenished. Most members find testing and adding chemicals to require less than 5 minutes per day. Of course there are methods of automation.

For liquid chlorine, you could go with a Liquidator or a Stemmer-type pump to automatically add the FC for you. Or you can go the SWG route where the FC is create from the salt in the water.

Even with these, you will need to test every 1-2 days to adjust other parameters and make sure things are in line.

How are you chlorinating?
I see you lack one of the Recommended Test Kits so that is a first step to making sure your pool is trouble free.

SWCG! It's almost a no-brainer to me unless you have some stone sensitive to salt near your pool.

SWG. I only test once per week, and typically all I have to do is add some muriatic acid. Once you are comfortable that your SWG is set right and your measurements show stable pH, there is really no need for testing more than once per week.

Thanks Guys! I am using Bleach jugs with 8.25% Sodum Hypochloride and the pool is sucking it in using a lot. Yes, need to get a test kit real bad. jblizzle will be getting a TF-100 Test kit asap. Will the TP-100 test kit work with both BBB and salt? Am considering switching to the SWCG direction to keep things simple. Also, any good info on switching to salt for a BBB pool?

Salt is still a chlorine pool, and requires the same test kit. You don't even have to test for salt very often once you've gotten it established. Since you are going from scratch, you'll need to measure your current salt content, add enough salt to get to about 75% of where you need to be, test again the next day, and slowly adjust it up until it tests right. I suggest investing in the Taylor drop kit for salt testing over the strips, I've found it to be far more accurate.

There isn't much to switch it. Buy the SWG, install it, bring salt content up, 24 hours after salt is ready, fire up the SWG. You'll continue to use bleach until the SWG is online. Oh, and just buy solar salt for water softeners from your local hardware store, it is a whole lot cheaper than pool salt most the time, and there's no difference.

If you're using more than 2-3 ppm per day in bleach, I'd consider looking at your CYA level and increasing it. If you're already at 50 ppm CYA and using more bleach than that, do a OCLT to see if anything is growing in your pool.

If all that looks OK and you're still wanting less daily maintenance, SWCG is the easiest to start up.

SWG will help out tremendously.

I'm with JVTrain though. I think there is something else going on that is contributing to your algae problem.

You reallyyyy need to get a decent test kit, make a full set of tests, and then we can determine the next immediate thing to do in order to get you fixed up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.