Safe Chlorine level

Jul 20, 2014
Houston/Texas
I am having a pool party for a bunch of junior high kids. Would it be wise to raise my chlorine level BEFORE the party and if so how high can I take it and still be safe to swim? Or is it best to just wait until after the party.

I have a SWCG so I would be adding bleach.

That sounds like a very good idea to bump it before. It is safe to swim up to the shock level for you CYA see the FC/CYA Chart. But, you do not need to raise it that high. Just add 4-5ppm is probably good and you likely want to bump it up again after.

Since I'm guessing you have your CYA in the right spot around 70-80, don't be afraid to take it up to 9PPM, that should be more than enough. I did the same thing recently, evne though it was a huge party of adults. We probably had 30-40 people in the pool at one point.

Since I'm guessing you have your CYA in the right spot around 70-80, don't be afraid to take it up to 9PPM, that should be more than enough. I did the same thing recently, evne though it was a huge party of adults. We probably had 30-40 people in the pool at one point.

Now that's a pool party! Each person had more than 1,000 gallons to swim in! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.