12x24x52 install progress pictures

Aug 1, 2014
oxford/GA
Hello. I just want to share my pictures from our DIY install of our Intex Ultraframe 12x24x52 rectangle pool. My mother and I completed most of this work ourselves. My husband helped some but his job keeps him away from home most of the time. We had to dig in to get level ground. We shored up the sides with stakes and pt lumber. We packed in granite sand by raking, wetting, tamping and screeding. We used a transit to shoot the top of the box and then I built a jig to screed. We buried pt 2x12x15 and shot grade using the transit on each of the 18 leg supports. ]I think it's turned out great so far. Next will be our deck.

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/trailbuddy69/slideshow/Pool Install?sort=2

Any time I see surveying equipment and obviously professional set up screed boards, I can only say "nice job".

We put in 6 tons of granite sand. I am a 45 year old female accountant and my mother is a 63 year old retired bartender. She and I borrowed a relatives transit to shoot grade and we cut and installed all of the retaining boards ourselves. We had the sand delivered but we shoveled by hand and raked and hand tamped and wet and tamped some more. I built that screed board myself out of scrap lumber from another project. She and I worked and pulled that sand around by ourselves. I'm very proud of the "nice job" we did. I think we did a much better job than alot of so-called professionals. Just because we aren't professionally trained to do this kind of work doesn't mean we can't do a professional job.

Here are some photos of our entry deck we built over the weekend. Yes, we did it ourselves. My husband was home this time to help. It is 5x8 and made of pressure treated lumber. I bought some tiered cake steps from a friends so now we just walk right into the pool. More deck will be added over the winter and I plan on adding a set of steps from the upper deck to the pool level deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice set up:) how how sand did you put down and how is it holding up?

We had a good bit of rain a few days ago and some of the granite sand washed out from under the lowest point. I went back with some pieces of roll roofing cut to size and dug out the sand, nailed the roofing material to the board and folded it down to the ground and then put the sand back on top. The sand is only a couple of inches deep at the most and it seems to perk thru rather than run off. We are definately keeping an eye on it since we were dealing with such unlevel ground and we had to dig down almost a foot at one end and side. I'm considering smooth river rock down on the sand base just to stabilize things.

got kids or grandkids?? that upstairs porch looks temping to jump off of, just saying!!!!!
My kids are grown and live in others states. But....many years ago when they were in elementary school, we had an above ground 24' round. I came home from work to find they had moved the trampoline to the area between the house and pool. They had put up a ladder against the house and were jumping from the roof to the trampoline and then bouncing into the pool. I thought I'd have heart failure!

Nice work! now at some point do you back fill around the pool ?

We will not back fill against the pool. I am planning to build somewhat of a boardwalk that will extend/cantilever over the hole where the pool sits and then set potted plants as a deterent from stepping off into the abiss.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks great.
Hope you & your Mother are proud of your work.

We are. It's been a lot of hard work with more to come. I sure hope it's worth it and we get many years of enjoyment from it. I don't know how long to expect the Intex pool to last. A friend of ours just took down their Splash pool because they moved. It'd been up for 15 years.

More pictures of our install. The flimsy little skimmer basket that came with our Intex just wasn't working for us. I bought a Hayward wide mouth skimmer and, with a little ingenuity, created the Frankenstien you see here. I was able to connect to the existing Intex hoses and it seems to be working well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.