"Magic TCCA" Tablets - Anyone Used these?

manjy

Jan 17, 2014
Hi,

I use Sodium Hypochlorite as my main source of Chlorine but once in a while use TCCA 90% Tablets to maintain the Cyanuric Acid level.

My Pool Chem supplier is now offering what they call "Magic TCCA" tablets which are a mix of TCCA, Alum and Copper Sulphate. The specs are:

Available Chlorine - 83%
Aluminium Sulphate - 4%
Copper Sulphate - 2.5%
PH Value - 2.72

Has anyone used these? Is there any downside to using these over the regular TCCA 90% Tablets? I do maintain 50ppm borates using Borax.

Thanks.

The copper is there to act as an algaecide. If you keep your FC in range you won't need to worry about algae. If you decide you need an algacide to prevent algae (algacides don't kill algae very well) use a polyquate 60 based algacide. Stay away from anything that adds metals to the pool.

The aluminum sulphate is an "alum floc" that is used to clarify the water, but that is also not necessary if you maintain proper chlorine levels (FC/CYA ratio) and have adequate circulation/filtration.

As for copper staining, it is a particularly hard stain to remove (compared to iron staining or calcium carbonate scale) and will happen when the copper level rises and/or the pH rises (when copper is present). You most definitely want to avoid adding copper to your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.