Testing the strength of liquid bleach

dansdad

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2013
Welcome to FTP!

{EDIT}Corrected an error in the procedure as originally written.{/EDIT}

There is a way to test the strength of bleach, but it isn't really all that simple. You need to dilute the bleach by 10,000 to 1 and then test the diluted bleach. One way to do the dilution is to add 10 ml of bleach to 1 liter of water, mix throughly, then add 10 ml of that to another liter of water, mix throughly and then test the FC level. The two liters of water need to be chlorine free, commonly distilled water is used. Also, the 10 ml measurement needs to be as accurate as possible, typically done using a syringe or pipette.

I did just that Jason and I got 10 ppm on my 2006 test kit. Is that possible? For bleach that high? I used distilled water and a 10 ml dropper Thank You Dave G.

Re: Commercial bleach: testing concentration

and that's what I got Abigail, that amazes me the bleach was that strong

- - - Updated - - -

Im amazed and hope its right

What bleach did you test? Many stores sell 10% and 12.5% liquid chlorine.
If you tested the 8.25% bleach, then it must be pretty fresh.
Personally I see no need to test new bleach since there is no need to try to be exact in your dosages.

What bleach did you test? Many stores sell 10% and 12.5% liquid chlorine.
If you tested the 8.25% bleach, then it must be pretty fresh.
Personally I see no need to test new bleach since there is no need to try to be exact in your dosages.

The bleach I bought was at Home Depot which again I wouldn't think it would be renewed as regularly as Walmart, but Im sold!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.