Pool scum

DSdiver

Silver Supporter
Sep 12, 2013
South Eastern Wisconsin
It's been a good year so far for our pool keeping the water crystal clear has been easy thanks to all the help from folks on this site. A few days ago we were visited from an old nemesis a slight amount of a scum on the surface of the pool. We had this last year and never got rid of it until this spring after we reopened our pool. It very hard to get a picture of but it looks like it could be a build up of sunscreen. It won't suck into the filter because it just floats on the surface after 2 min of swimming our turning our fountain on it's gone never to appear until the next morning when we retract our cover and there it is again. Not sure what to do we bought some scum balls and it sucks some up but not all. The water is crystal clear other then the light scum ,it also only covers about a 1/3 of the pool kind of like a small oil slick . Any thoughts our help ?

As an after thought we have scrubbed our cover with water and a small amount of bleach but this didn't work.

FC 5
CC.5
CYA 60/70
TA 210
PH 7.6
Salt 3100 ppm

Perhaps running the pump a tad bit more and boosting the chlorine a bit higher to allow the filter to work on it? Or adding a bit of DE to your sand filter? How about banning all those sunscreen products for a week or so and see if that makes any difference?

That's all I got.:scratch:

Thanks guys,
I'm going to bump my FC up for a few days and let it sit and see. Is it possible to get rid of something like this without doing a full SLAM. I'm thinking maybe bring my FC up to 10 and hold it for a few days. I have some of the pool perfect enzyme is that maybe the better way to go?

Attachments

• Scumbug oil absorber.jpg
    Scumbug oil absorber.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for the help guys, I raised my FC for a few days and pointed my returns up towards the surface at night to get some water circulation on the bottom of the cover,also added about 4 scum balls and this did the trick no more scum. Thanks as always love this site!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.