Green water please help

Well it's 10pm and water looks even better than this afternoon. Since I am not able to get an accurate chlorine reading from my test kit (it turns orange) I did a dilution of half pool water and half tap/well water (no chlorine in tap water and what I filled with) I now have a test reading of 3 so I then multiplied by 2 so if I'm correct my chlorine should be around 6ppm? So I figured what the heck I brushed the whole pool then I through in another gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine just to make sure everything is dead.

I tried posting a picture I took this afternoon but I get a message from the web page that says 101_4194.JPG: exceeds your quota by 23.7 KB. I'm figuring that I can only post the two pictures I already have and no more due to a size thing with the posts.

My next question is how many gallons are actually in my pool? As stated in the first post it is an Intex ultra frame 22x52 and the box states 10,472 gallons and when I search I keep coming up with 11,400 gallons. So which one is correct? If I use the box statement then the 4pounds of CYA that I have added to the pool I should have somewhere around 46ppm and should be keeping my chlorine between 4ppm to 6ppm which would explain what I just went through (not enough chlorine to kill everything). Thanks.

Unless someone with the very same Intex pipes in I'd go with 11,400.
If using 11.4K you make a couple corrections and they repeatedly go past your target then you would know to go with the 10.5K (on the box) size.
It's only about an 8% difference but I'd rather be 8% stronger if I'm guessing at something. Well except for the CYA of course :(

pool is clearing but still cloudy and I can now see the bottom.

Thank you to everyone for all of your help.
Well, you ordered your test kit two days ago so you will probably have it for the weekend. The way you are going you should be able to get your numbers in order and start the official SLAM soon. You are moving in the right direction. Start thinking about the pool party celebration.

I agree with kiss4afrog that the difference between 10,400 and 11,400 gallons is pretty small, and you might never be able to see the difference in the effects of your chemical additions.

However, geometry is fun and this looks like a pretty easy one. The pool has a 22' diameter, or an 11' radius. So its area is:

(pi)(radius)^2 = 3.1416 x 11^2 = 2 x 3.1416 * 121 = 380 square feet

If you take the total depth of the pool as 52 inches, which is 4.33 feet, you can multiply area by height to get volume:

380 x 4.33 = 1645 cubic feet

Convert to gallons, multiplying by 7.48:

1645 x 7.48 = 12,300 gallons.

Of course, the pool isn't full to the top. To figure out how much water is actually in your pool, just measure the depth and swap in that number. You could also measure the diameter across the pool and see if the 22 feet is measured inside-to-inside, as I assumed in this calculation.

To post more than your limit of pictures, see here:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...tures-to-a-post-(full-guide-with-screenshots)

Great to hear the pool's clearing up!

As stated in the first post it is an Intex ultra frame 22x52

Please, Please update your signature with the good stuff. Before you post

and the box states 10,472 gallons and when I search I keep coming up with 11,400 gallons.

All of the Intex boxes I've seen have a footnote next to the gallons stating "at 90% capacity". So taking the calculations above and multiplying the result by .9 gets you 11,070, pretty much right in the middle of the two numbers you've seen.

TF-100 test kit arrived today. It's great. I tested the pool with the kit this evening around 8:30 this evening and these are the results I got.
FC - 10.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 11.0 Did I do that right, you add the FC + CC = TC
TA - 110
PH - 7.2
CH - 175
CYA - 33/40 I'll get better as I figure out how to use it.

At 10:30pm I add 64 oz of bleach to bring it back to slam level and now my FC is at 18.5 and my CC is at 0.5.
I now think that my water volume is closer to the 10472 gal that the box states, and I had more CYA in the pool all along than was thought which is why I ended up with an algae outbreak. I wasn't keeping my chlorine level high enough to compensate for the higher CYA level that I didn't realize I had. Now I know. The pool is almost clear now. Thanks for all the help everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

I updated my signature not sure why it didn't show up on the last post.

- - - Updated - - -

ok lets see if my signature shows with this post.

- - - Updated - - -

not sure why my signature is not showing. what am I doing wrong. I went into settings and added all of the information. but it's not showing???????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TF-100 test kit arrived today. It's great. I tested the pool with the kit this evening around 8:30 this evening and these are the results I got.
FC - 10.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 11.0 Did I do that right, you add the FC + CC = TC
TA - 110
PH - 7.2
CH - 175
CYA - 33/40 I'll get better as I figure out how to use it.

At 10:30pm I add 64 oz of bleach to bring it back to slam level and now my FC is at 18.5 and my CC is at 0.5.
I now think that my water volume is closer to the 10472 gal that the box states, and I had more CYA in the pool all along than was thought which is why I ended up with an algae outbreak. I wasn't keeping my chlorine level high enough to compensate for the higher CYA level that I didn't realize I had. Now I know. The pool is almost clear now. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Your numbers sound good, glad you figured out what the issue was.

You can ignore TC, we just deal with FC & CC

Now that you have the test kit and the SLAM is underway you should have a clear pool sone!

Well I've been at it for a few days now and here are a new set of results. It's been cooler (downright cold at night) the last couple of days. It was raining Wed so I didn't test before I went to work. The water is now clear and cold about 62 degrees.

FC 11.5
CC 0.0
Ph 7.5
TA 100
CYA 40

I have been letting the chlorine level drift down since 8/11 Monday morning.

Mon 6am FC 15.5 CC 0.0
Mon 11pm FC 13.0 CC 0.0
Tue 12pm FC 13.0 CC 0.0
Thur 12pm FC 11.5 CC 0.0 Ph 7.5 TA 100 CYA 40

Thanks to everyone for your help through this. I am loving the new TF 100 kit and all the information on the different web pages here.

Northern Michigan, new intex, 10k, 22x52 ultra frame, intex filter 2500gph,

Last edited:
Wanted to give everyone an update. I love the new test kit. It is now Wednesday the 20th and here are my current readings.
FC 5.5
CC 0.0
Ph 7.4
TA 100
CYA 40

I put my solar cover back on the pool last Friday evening (8/15) in an attempt to get it to warm back up from 61, it's up to 68 now. With the pool covered the free chlorine level is holding at 5.5 and CC is 0.0 since 8/15. None of my test readings have changed since 8/15, is that normal with the pool being covered and the temps only being in the low 70's (if that) during the day and dropping down into the 50's at night. It's been cloudy and rainy on and off this past week. Before that the temps at night dropped down to about 42 at night for a few days in a row. by, by heat.

Thank you everyone for all the help and the great website you are all wonderful. If I have any more questions I will post them in a different thread. again thanks for all the help. Kiddy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.