Encroaching on Replumbing returns and skimmer (with questions)

Aug 3, 2012
There is a leak that is more pronounced when the pump is running.

Pool guy (that 3 unrelated pool suppliers recommend) wants a leak detection company(@$450) because he has seen leaky light fixtures and doesn't want to chase my suspicions, and insurance wants to know "why it's leaking".
My deductible is $1000.

If I persue this route, i am spending $1500 and i still have 1 1/2 plumbing and some mismatched concrete patches in my deck.

So i did some pricing.
$150 to rent a concrete saw for the day
$50 per blade off ebay for the saw (should get 3)
140' 2inch pvc $15 per 20'
Various sweeps and couplers
$300 for pvc
$300 for concrete

So if i tackle this myself, i can cut a borderline around my pool and still consider extras while sticking to a $1500 budget.

Maybe widemouth skimmers and stairwell return.

Problem is, with this website and my ability to consume every bit of knowledge that it contains ( i have only interviewed pool people, replumbed my pumping station, restored to sparkling clarity after a hurricane and the downtime during the pumping station rebuild)

I have owned this pool for 2 years and need to correct this constant leak in the return.

I dont have $5,000 to contribute to a new deck with cantilevered coping, but i can dream.

Therefore, i am stuck with this idea of trenching around the pool with an accented repair that i can confidently tackle with a peculiar amount of finesse.

I believe that this 20x40 inground vinyl lined pool has steel walls though i have never seen them.

Would it be possible to replace both skimmers without ruining the presumed 3 year old liner?

Should i entertain wide mouthed skimmers?

This pool has 2 skimmers and 2 returns and 1 main drain.

Would a stairwell return be an option? This area gets no circulation unless we are using the pool.

I have not seen any posts relating to these questions.

Thankfully jack

First I'd spend the 450 to get an evaluation of what is leaking. Then decide what you want to do. It may be something simple.

Pools are like people, under the skin they have all the same parts just arranged differently . In other words once you start cutting who knows what there is to find. I would take you estimated time to complete and triple it and add at least 30% to the budget.

All this work around a liner is not good. You have to be very careful.

I think it will be very difficult to replace return lines, did a trench around the pool and replace the skimmers without some problems.

I believe that the simple fix is the "T" where the returns venture off to the deep and shallow ends (under the concrete), but have a fear that since there was a freeze and some settling (cracks in the corners of the pool deck), some broken fittings and cracks length wise in the PVC.

I have found linear splits in the "pool cleaner" return(and have fixed)

I honestly think that it has tight 90's in all corners and would like to add 2- 45's or long sweeps.

I appreciate the fact that a 3 year old liner will take some damage, but the budget includes a cheap $70 tarp to cover the pool.

Still a tricky undertaking I agree.

Due to a pool light. I have seen some concrete cutting through electrical somewhere, but I have a diving board mounting location that needs to be attended to as well. Possible diving rock and water feature conversion.

They have small cameras that you can run through those lines but its my understanding that its difficult to see leaks from the inside.

If you do this we would really appreciate regular reports with pictures.

Why not take up the whole deck?

Good Luck???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.