Algae - too much CYA

Deb

Aug 3, 2008
Have been having trouble with green algae. Have an inground vinyl liner pool. Haven't had this trouble for 6 seasons. Had several pools techs out to the pool. Finally someone has told me they think I have too much CYA in pool and my shock had not been working. Discovered that my pool shock (sodium dichloro-triazinetrione) contains cya and also my pool tablets has cya also. Have you ever heard of this. I was told I needed to use Lithium hypochlorite shock. I have spent 600.00 now trying to get rid of this algae and it keeps coming back. Whats your take on this problem? Help :(

Hi Deb, welcome to the forum.

High CYA levels can promote algae however without a full set of water test numbers it will be hard to tell if this is your problem. You can either have a pool store test your water for you or you can go the preferred route of testing it yourself with a good test kit. A good test kit is without a doubt the best investment you can make in your pool. If you don't have one already, most on this forum recommend the TFT test kit http://www.tftestkits.com/ or the Taylor K-2006. The numbers that will help us are:

FC (free chlorine)
TC (total chlorine)
pH
alkalinity
calcium hardness
CYA

Additionally, if you haven't done so already, I recommend reading the pool school section of this forum http://www.troublefreepools.com/category/pool-school/. It is organized in a methodical fashion so begin from the beginning and work your way through the topics. This will help you understand the relationship between CYA & chlorine (among other items all pool owners should know).

Your situation is not uncommon and is why many on this forum are here. You have come to the right place as the folks here are outstanding and very knowledgeable. If you could post the numbers listed above, I'm sure help will be on the way.

Hi Deb and Welcome! :wave:

If your CYA is high (I'm betting it is from your description of chemical use :wink: ) you should do partial drains and refills to bring the CYA down. There is no MAGIC chemical to do this for you but fresh water.

After you read Pool School, I recommend you get some POP!
Not Mt. Dew, Pepsi or Grape!!! I'm talkin Pool Owner Patience! :fro:

O~ and a good test kit, namely the TF 100! It really is worth every red cent! :goodjob:

If you have been using powdered shock to treat your pool and 3" pucks as your source or chlorine, that is why your CYA is so high. Stop using them.They only make your CYA go up and up and up which is what your experiencing now.The only solution to this is a partial drain and refill.

Please post a full set of numbers so we can see what your CYA level is to help you determine how much water needs to be replaced. Someone with a little more knowledge about that will be able to tell you how much to replace once we get your numbers.

I would also recommend reading "pool school" found in my signature. It has articles there that will help you get rid of your algae and get your water balanced.

Next, a trip to the store is in order as well to get SEVERAL jugs of 6% bleach. When you think you have enough in your cart , put more in!. NO SCENTED BLEACH regular bleach only!

You also need to get a reliable test kit. I suggest the TF100 also found in my signature under "TF Test Kits" Most of us here on this forum use it and it available through this forum, others use the Taylor test kit ( I think its called) and does the same thing

Also if you are able to, posting pictures is helpful as well. Pictures are the best testimonial we have here about the BBB method !

Good Luck !
Welcome to TFP :wave:

You can also often find liquid chlorine, which is also sodium hypochlorite like 6% bleach is, but is 10 or 12%, in the pool supplies aisle of Home Depot, Lowes, etc., or in pool stores. I mention this because sometimes it is cheaper when you figure out percentage of chlorine per cost, or at least about the same, and since it is a higher percentage, you don't have quite as much lugging of liquid to do!

But lithium hypochlorite is, as you know, very expensive, the most expensive form of chlorine you can buy! Another form of shock, which is much cheaper than lithium hypochlorite, but often more expensive than sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is calcium chlorite. Calcium chlorite does add calcium, however, so can only be used if your calcium level isn't high. I also find it a bit of a pain to make sure it is completely dispersed in the water. Altogether, the liquid stuff is your best bet.

Swimgirl said:
You can also often find liquid chlorine, which is also sodium hypochlorite like 6% bleach is, but is 10 or 12%, in the pool supplies aisle of Home Depot, Lowes, etc., or in pool stores. I mention this because sometimes it is cheaper when you figure out percentage of chlorine per cost, or at least about the same, and since it is a higher percentage, you don't have quite as much lugging of liquid to do!

But lithium hypochlorite is, as you know, very expensive, the most expensive form of chlorine you can buy! Another form of shock, which is much cheaper than lithium hypochlorite, but often more expensive than sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is calcium chlorite. Calcium chlorite does add calcium, however, so can only be used if your calcium level isn't high. I also find it a bit of a pain to make sure it is completely dispersed in the water. Altogether, the liquid stuff is your best bet.

I get mine at ACE HARDWARE...$3.48 per gallon...

Hi everyone. This is mysecond post, the first one did not have a full set of numbers, so here we go.

FC......0.......working on bringing it up
pH......7.2
TA.......100
CYA......100
CH........350
TDS.......1400
Phosphates......50

I have a plaster pool that is 1800 gallons and kidney shaped. with an attached spa. I have been running my pump (1 1/2 hp) for about 10 hours a day for the past week. before that only about 5 hours a day. It has been 100 degrees in Texas for the past few weeks. My water is a vey clear green, I can see to the bottom of my pool even sitting in my living room. This is the first year we have not had a nice blue pool and I have run out of options so I am looking for advice. I have read that using bleech is a good alternative to bring up my FC and does not contribute to my CYA as much. I have used the pool tool and, if I read it correctly, I would need my FC at 13 with a CYA of 100. Not sure if this would help get my pool blue or not? Also not sure how the water will feel on my eyes if I have a FC of 13. I added 192 oz of bleech tonight and heading to the store tomorrow to get more if it helps bring my FC back up.

Help me if you can....goal is a blue pool!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.