Need help in Arizona

Joyz

Aug 4, 2014
AZ
Hi, I'm Joy and new to Scottsdale AZ and new to being a pool owner. We just got rid of our pool guy and want to try the BBB method and clean our own pool. First off is there a place here on the forum where I can find in person, local help--for example, I need someone to explain how our pump works and basic "pool school" (trying to avoid the big pool store that offers the service). Being new to pools I am worried I'm going to mess up the valves and such. Some of my concerns I will be looking up in the forum archives are:
1. We had some monsoon rains here and now the pool is cloudy
2. I don't understand the directions for the chlorine test in the Taylor test. The part about getting to pink took many drops...not sure if I was reading directions properly
3. We have a lot of gravel and underlying dirt close to the pool that end up in the pool, as well as many leaves from surrounding bushes and trees. The pool gets very dirty. Wondering how best to clean dirt and tiny rocks from bottom.
4. Our pool vac inlet (in the pool) is stuck closed. There was no suction for the pool vac so I tried different settings on the valves and something I did created so much suction that it sucked the door closed. Now I can't pry it open.

Looking forward to learning lots here!!

Joy

Hi, welcome to TFP! Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached). It will show up at the bottom of everything you post and it is easier for us to help you if we don't have to search the thread for this information. Once we have this information we can help you figure out your pool. Pictures are also very helpful. If you could post a picture of the equipment pad (pump, filter, ect...) and valves we can explain how they are used.

question 2. You fill the tube to 10ml and add a scoop of powder and swirl to mix. If you have any chlorine the water will turn pink. The more chlorine you have the darker the sample will be. Add the drops one at a time and swirl between drops. Keep adding drops and swirling (keep count of the drops) until all the pink is gone. Take the number of drops and divide by 2. The result will be your free chlorine reading.

question3. Manually vacuuming or using a pool cleaner such as a Polaris will take care of the debris on the pool floor.

question 4. When we figure out how to release the pressure on the vacuum line the door should open.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Can you confirm what test kit you have to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Also, take a look at ABCs of Water Chemistry to start your understanding of the chemistry.

Just post up some pictures of your equipment and plumbing and I am sure we can help you figure it out.
Ask anything need to help with and someone is sure to be able to help.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Between my homeschool kids and a new rescue dog I am trying to get up to speed on the very informative articles here. Here is where I am regarding my first post:
1. I added 4 64 ounce containers of Home Depot brand bleach last night. About to go test the water again with my Taylor K-2006 kit.
2. I figured out the chlorine test finally when I had some time without the kids to really pay attention to instructions. Thank you for that.
3. Need to research manual vacuums I'm guessing. Our "The Pool Cleaner" vac doesn't work so well. Or perhaps it is user (me) error. We currently have tiny pebbles and sandy dirt at the bottom of the pool from my 7 year old taking his dump truck in the pool (ugh). Also some leaves that have sunk down. I have been working with the net to get those as much as possible but it doesn't get the sand or rocks up. Also we have a smaller pool that has poor circulation (just one water jet) so many leaves get stuck around a little built in table.
4. I managed to pry open the intake valve where the pool vac is plugged in in the pool. I cleared the pool vac trap of debris and hooked it back up. The pool vac does not run along the bottom of the pool now like it usually does. I also don't know if the tubes are supposed to be cleared of water. I cleared the end near the trap of water before plugging in to wall. Not sure if this was correct.
5. I set up a flickr page with pictures of our set up and put some info in the comments, specifically related to the valves. I got the pool vac to suction a bit by setting the valve all the way to the pipe labeled pool vac, but I am assume that means that nothing is going to the skimmer which is the pipe directly opposite the pool vac pipe (see pictures in the flickr page). As an aside the skimmers have not had a lot leaves in them so i'm not sure they are working correctly. We have a lot of debris.

Here were the results of my Taylor K2006 test from yesterday afternoon. Again the only thing I did was add bleach as a stop gap until I figure out what else I need to do. I am about to retest now.
FC: 0.4ppm
CC: 0.6ppm
pH: 7.8 (acid demand was 2 drops)
Alkalinity: 170

I'm not sure I performed the CYA test correctly. The dot disappeared before the water got up to any of the numbered lines. I will try it again this morning.

As background, we got rid of the pool guy last week, have had some heavy rains, plus the accident with the toy dump truck. The pool guy was using tablets in a little buoy and a good amount of shock I think (based on the super expensive monthly bills we were getting!). I removed the chlorine tablet thing from the pool. You will probably understand that I am a newbie at this, and trying my best to pay attention to the stickies, rules, protocol etc. and read the past posts and articles late at night after family is asleep. We are new to home ownership (previously apartment dwellers in NYC) and learning lots already.

Looking forward to being a part of your community, learning how to take care of our pool properly and more economically, and helping support your efforts!

Many thanks,
Joy

Here are the results of the Taylor K 2006c test:
FC: 0.5ppm
CC: 0.5ppm
pH: 7.8
Alkalinity: 160
CH: 480
CYA: over 100. It didn't reach the lowest number on the list (100) before black dot disappeared. So I know it's over 100. Perhaps this is due to the tablets the pool guy was using?

Do these results mean SLAMing? Drain part of pool for the CYA level?

You are right, the CYA is very high due to all the tablets and any dichlor "shock" that was used.
Redo the CYA test starting with 50/50 mix of tap and pool water, then add reagent, do the test, then double the result. Need to see how high it really is.
Then you will need to replace water to get the CYA reasonable before we can move on to anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Please add a city to your profile ... Flagstaff is a good bit different than Phoenix ;)

Welcome! You are on the right track-finding TFP and having a good test kit.

You do have your hands full with kids, dogs, pool.

DO the 50/50 CYA test and we will get you to the next step.

Find your best source of chlorine. For sure it is Walmart's greater value bleach, others it is the local pool store renting their jugs.

Kim