Average pool temps with solar cover

Jul 19, 2014
Hudson Ohio
Hi all I am trying to figure out if I should get a pool heater. My question is mainly for above ground pool owners in Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania and similar climates.

What do you average using a solar cover from June through September?

My goal is 76-78 degrees. I keep my pool covered. If you supplement with a heater what do you average for a season as far as cost.

Lately its been in the 70s during the day and 50s at night and i'm sitting at 78 degrees right now.

Dropped to 76 friday evening. Before that I was hitting 84-85. I'm hoping the warm days ahead will get me back above 80. 76 is pretty cold to me. Took me about 15 minutes to fully get used to it and I was still kinda cold.

I've been reading about heaters and have come to my own personal conclusion....My solar cover seems to keep in the temp for the most part overnight. I dont think i'm ready to spend $1k on a heater system just yet. Maybe if i want to swim into october, but for now a cover is really all I need. I'm in sun from around 8am - 6pm.

Obviously with the weird weather this year you are going to get some random temperatures from everyone. I have thought about heating the pool with a heater but I can't justify the cost right now for maybe 3 months. Like I said with full sun and the temps we have been having in WI I haven't dipped below 80 this season. I keep the cover on religiously though. Might be a week before we uncover it and go swimming so I believe I am keeping a lot of the warmth in the pool by not removing the solar cover for an extended period of time. I have looked at temp before and it said 83 and the pool did not feel that warm, got in and started moving water and the temp did fluctuate a little. Do you have a floating thermometer?

Put your solar cover on, then the cover that came with the pool, and then top that off with 2" of pink foam board and you will keep in A LOT of heat. I am in northern MN and my pool gets full sun and water temps to 85 with air temps in the mid 70's. I haven't seen much of a difference whether I keep solar cover on or not during the day (if full sun is out). BUT, in the evenings we drop down to 50's air temp but my pool in the morning is still 81 deg and I think it is because of the foam board. Before foam board I would lost close to 10 deg of water temp. It's worth it for sure to put the 2" of foam board with the cool summer we are all having.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.