Do I have a bomb?

Kdix

Aug 3, 2014
N.hollywood ca
Hi all, I have a cheap summer pool with a chlorine generator. I covered it with plastic while I went out of town for the weekend, (we were expecting rain) I'm back and realizing that I may have produced enough hydrogen under my plastic to be a serious problem. Do I have a problem? Should I call the fire department?
Thanks, holding my breath, Kevin.

Welcome to the forum!

Why would you think that would be the case? If anything it would be nitrogen that would build up, but it would have to be a pretty dirty pool. I leave my solar cover on all the time when we're not swimming, and when on vacation, up to seven days at a time. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi all, I have a cheap summer pool with a chlorine generator. I covered it with plastic while I went out of town for the weekend, (we were expecting rain) I'm back and realizing that I may have produced enough hydrogen under my plastic to be a serious problem. Do I have a problem? Should I call the fire department?
Thanks, holding my breath, Kevin.

Need more info, but do you have something like a Uniclor chlorine generator that you covered with plastic? If so, just turn it off, and wait a while, longer to be safer, but do not cover it in the future! It's designed to be out in the weather, and it does release hydrogen gas, so the vents on the top must not be obstructed. I doubt you have a "bomb", since hydrogen dissipates pretty quickly.

Hydrogen will collect under the cover but it probably would not ignite unless someone deliberately ignited it. I have collected some under my cover and I actually was able to ignite it but it requires the correct mix of oxygen. Pretty spectacular!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.