Should I be concerned about shoddy workmanship?

I am getting a rectangular pool built. They've dug, and recently installed rebar.

When you look at the sides of the pool, they're not straight. In particular, the deep end side curves what looks like about 8" from one side to the other (it's a 15'x30' pool). If it wasn't dark out, I'd include a picture.

I know the rebar isn't the final shape of the pool, but it seems like it should be closer to straight than it is.

Or does a rectangular pool always look like a mess until the gunite is in? I have no experience, but it looks "off" enough that I'm concerned.

Thoughts?

We really need a picture to tell very much. The rebar should be straight. Talk to your PB about it. They may have to add some support for it. And yest the rebar can look messy but a rectangular pool should be mostly clean straight lines.

I could not live with pool walls that out of square.

I came home from work after the concrete guys set their forms for my pool surround area and just couldn't take it. I pulled their forms and reset them straight and square.

Maybe they will pull those rebar into position before they spray...

Do you have a PB or are you subbing it out yourself? I'd be calling the steel crew back in for that one!

I have a builder. I am contacting him with my concerns right now. I just wanted to make sure my concerns were founded.

My fear is that the dig is a problem as well. They could only get a tiny excavator and bobcat into my backyard due to tight access on both sides, and they took 5 full days to excavate it. I think they were rushing by the end and I think the dig itself is not very square or straight, and the floor of it was very uneven. I figured that would be fixed in the rebar stage, but apparently not.

Final thought: I think my ace in the hole here in getting this done right is that I am getting an automatic cover installed on this pool. I am pretty sure this means that the pool needs to be accurately straight and square for the cover to be installed and work properly. So I'm pretty sure my contractor will be on board for getting this right.

Final thought: I think my ace in the hole here in getting this done right is that I am getting an automatic cover installed on this pool. I am pretty sure this means that the pool needs to be accurately straight and square for the cover to be installed and work properly. So I'm pretty sure my contractor will be on board for getting this right.

I'd be holding payment until it was completed to my statisfaction...seems money is always a great motivator!!

Yes. An autocover will require the pool to be almost perfectly square. My PB commented on that during the stage you are in. Some of that can be fixed during track installation I suppose. Maybe an inch tops. I'd expect the shell to be within a 1/2" of being square after gunite with an autocover.

Interestingly our cover does have a little issue with getting misaligned when uncovering. Could just be an adjustment issue as I believe the pool/track was made quite square.

There is a threshold for what the gunite guys can work with and what they can't. My spa was actually twisted about five degrees to the pool. It was really the excavation crews fault because they are responsible for reading the plans and setting the perimeter. The rebar crew just came in and ran the bar based on what was in place. I told my PB about it and he told the gunite guys to fix it with the gunite. They said no way. The steel guys had to drop everything and come out while the gunite crew was spraying. There is no such thing as sorta straight on a rectilinear pool. It's either straight or it's wrong. I tell my PB everything I think might be going wrong. He gets really annoyed but I've saved him countless hours of redoing things.

Bob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I met with the pool builder today and he said it is just roughed in and that the gunite guys will fix it. I felt better at the time, but now with these responses I'm worried again.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in, but that sounds like BS. The gunite guys might make the wall square, but will they fix the rebar first? And when they are finished you won't be able to tell (right away) if the rebar was fixed before they applied the concrete.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in, but that sounds like BS. The gunite guys might make the wall square, but will they fix the rebar first? And when they are finished you won't be able to tell (right away) if the rebar was fixed before they applied the concrete.

At the very least I'm gonna be right there in their business when the gunite crew arrives to talk it over with them.

I can tell my builder is annoyed that I'm questioning him, but he'll just have to deal with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.