are there more economical ways to purchase bleach than by the gallon

Jun 24, 2014
Solomon, ks
If I might tag on a related question. After converting to the TFPC method, are there more economical ways to purchase bleach than by the gallon? I'm talking 55 gallon barrel. I consume 3/4 gallon/day of 12.5%. I got lucky and found gallon jugs on sale at Menards for $2, I should have bought every jug because now it's $4. 10% is $3.30 at Ace and 8% is $3.00 at Sam's.
Any other suggestions?

It varies quite a bit by location. Some pool stores carry bulk liquid and sell it 5 gallons at a time, but that is much more common in the warmer areas where pools are more popular.

Like you said, Menard's is a good choice when they have the BOGO deal. They usually bring that sale back near the end of the season.

You may also find an industrial chemical or janitorial supplier who sells it in 55 gallon drums. It may take some detective work to find it. Be aware that high percentage sodium hypochlorite deteriorates over time, so if you find a bulk source you may want to share with another pool owner or two to avoid losing chlorine.

I did some online research, outrageous price per gallon for 30/55/330 gal containers. It must be that "Special Bleach". I'll stick to SAMs for 8.5 @ $3.00/gal or Menards 12.5 @ $4.00/gal. I'll look into some dry cleaners, but I would bet they would be hesitant to resell for liability reasons, or what ever.
I use one gal/day of 8.5. I'm trying to bring TA down from 220 to 100. I just did the math and I need to add approx 1.5 gal MA to achieve this goal. This should reduce my chlorine consumption over time.
Update...it only lowered TA to 190...hmmmm? Going to recheck before I do any thing.
Confirmed, at 190, no significant change. Maybe I had an erroneous initial test.
pH is a solid 7.2, with this I shall add H2O via garden sprinkler to increase pH. My subsequent plan is to then reduce pH again until I achieve 100+- TA.

After some study and thought, if high TA raises pH over time, why would I need to do things (aerate and etc.) to raise pH?
I've been thru pool school and 201 but I just don't get it. Please explain.
Has anyone ever done a flow chart or a flashy PowerPoint (I'm Army, kinda slow) explaining the relationship of the various chemicals and values? I'm sure it would be marvelous.

If your pH will stay low, don't worry about the TA. The main problem with high TA is that it can cause pH rise.

You are mistaken about chlorine use though. TA doesn't affect chlorine consumption.

The rising pH is happening, but not at an alarming rate. I can control it with MA.
Sorry about the association of chlorine and TA. I had two thoughts at the same time while typing. My cya is on the high side @55ish. That's what requires me to use more chlorine. I'm slowly adjusting cya by vacuuming to waste on an irregular basis.
Everything was looking good last night. We got an inch of rain. That will make today's testing interesting.
Morning test results are decent, pH is 7.2. I'll let the TA (170) and aeration raise it. This mornings FC is 4.0, pool math says 1.1 Gal of 12.5.

After some study and thought, if high TA raises pH over time, why would I need to do things (aerate and etc.) to raise pH?
You probably don't. If you're willing to be patient, you can just keep adding acid when your pH raises and over time your TA will fall. If your high TA is causing you to worry about scaling, then you might want to aerate to speed up the process, but many people can just monitor pH and let TA gradually take care of itself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.