I can't seem to find an answer to my question.

S1ngram

Jun 7, 2014
St. Bernise, Indiana
Maybe I'm just being dense. All I'm trying to figure out is the brands/models of some swg that I can use on my 27' round AGP. I was hoping to use an intex swg, but sadly it seems that they only go up to 15,000 gallons. Am I wrong on this? The expense of other systems seems so high and I can't tell if I'm buying more than I need. I can't figure out how the more expensive swg are sized.. There is quite a jump in price from intex to other brands and there doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

I may look into a stenner pump for convenience it there are no ~$200 swg available for my size of pool.

You would probably want to look for an SWG rated to 20,000 gallons minimum. Many people oversize the swg hoping to get more years out of service before getting a new cell. The Intex SWG is a "disposable" unit since you cannot buy replacement cells or sensors at this time. You could try google searching for "above ground pool saltwater chlorine generator". I found this listed on Amazon. I'm sure there are others as well.

Although the Intex unit's documentation states that it is for above ground pools up to 15,000 gallons, my personal opinion, based on my personal experience with having purchasing one of these units for my 16,000 gal in ground pool, is that it can handle a substantially larger AG or IG pool. I run my unit for only 3 hours per day to maintain a 4ppm FC level in my pool.

My experience indicate that this unit produces the equivalent of 8 oz of 8.25% bleach every hour. And since it has a maximum programmable run time of 12 hours per day, then it will produce up to the equivalent of 96 oz or 3 quarts of 8.25% bleach per day on a 12 hour run time. Assuming that you use less than this quantity of bleach per day now, and you are willing to have a pump run time of at least 12 hours per day, then this unit, out of the box, will do the job for you.

Take a look at my detailed review here.

I apologize for coming across as an evangelist for the Intex swg, but I swear that my only motivation is to share knowledge and contribute to others in the same spirit as demonstrated by others here at TFP.

I do secretly hope (and believe) however that the Intex unit will spell the beginning of the end of what must be extremely high profit margins for the other SWG manufacturers, much in the same way as how the price of personal computers and other electronics have tumbled in the past decades because of competition and free enterprise.

Here's a thought:

Split the return line into 2 runs to 1 1/2 PVC* and run each through a separate Intex. be careful with pipe length - you want at least 2x the pipe diameter as a straight run after any fitting.

It seems obvious to me that the production would be additive - 12 grams from each = 24 gram total.

You double your initial investment, but reduce pump run time by half, and reduce the load on each unit.

My wild guess is that you would save on both pump usage and SWG resources.

And, according to anothor poster - with the Intex, you do not replac the entire cell - just the titanium plates.
If those are all that erode, why do the other mfg's demand you replace the entire guts of their systems?

(probably because there are enough people who will pay for it).

* The Intex wants 1 1/2 flex hose, but the ends of their hose are PVC, and glue up to standard Sch 40 PVC (the white stuff you see everywhere).

Note that there are 2 models: one is good for 7500 gal, the other 15000.

They also make 230 vac systems, but do not seem to sell them in N America - the only place I found a 230v unit was a German site - 230 is household voltage in (most?) (all?) Europe.

I just bought an intex model 8110 from amazon for $118.28 with free shipping. SCORE! I will have some extra costs plumbing it and adding salt to the pool, but I'll for sure spend less than I did starting up my pool this year! Even if I have to buy one every year, it will still be about a wash compared to manually adding bleach.

I probably won't do anything but read the manual this season and figure out how to connect it since I just bought 24 gallons of bleach. Oh well. I'll be ready for next year.

Dang, that's inexpensive to say the least! You really did SCORE and I agree with you about buying one each year at that price it would make perfect sense. I doubt you will have to buy one each year although it's peace of mind to know that you could and feel good about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.