autopilot sc-60 cell replace?

bestlandlord

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2007
Massachusetts
came home yesterday noticed pump not running. programmed to run 6-6. Autopilot screen blank appeared to have no power. Breaker in cellar was ok and gfi breaker in garage was on. When i tripped and reset gfi breaker pump came on. Went out to deck and noticed water running out from under fence screen to pump area. Looked over fence and water was pouring out of top of pump.
I was so disgusted shut off power and went inside. So this morning what I found out was that my 10 yr old granddaughter with "Grammy" present shut off the return valve to the pool. So the sequence of events went something like this I surmise.(Oh and I am always telling everyone for 9 years to leave pool setting valves etc etc alone)
1Valve shut with pump running
2Brand new superpump (1 month old) ran until it was too hot
3Ran long enough to blow out and strip the theads (was fully threaded) off of the pvc male adapter in top of pump housing.This was hard to believe and was the source of water running everywhere.
4Now the pump seems to be pumping way less water, when I backwashed the column of water only goes half as far as it used to, I know not scientific.
5Autopilot shows warning "low amps" Test shows 3000salt, 79 degrees, 29volt, .6amp
6Until yesterday everything had been operating fine
So does it seem that this would have have caused damage to the pump to pump less water and the autopilot to malfunction?
The troubleshooting guide says low amp means replace cell.
The cell has maybe 1000 hrs on level one usually at 30-40%(90days at 12 hours a day)

I wouldn't worry about the AutoPilot too much until you take care of the pump. It is possible that the pump problems are affecting the AutoPilot. When the pump is fixed, the AutoPilot might be fine.

In any case, take the cell out and visually inspect it and clean the manifold filter screen. Make sure that no debris from the pump got into the cell and that it doesn't have any calcium scaling. The plates should be silvery metallic or black. There shouldn't be any white chalky coating on the plates.

Low Amps can also be due to insufficient salt (have it tested and verified), a loose cell cord connection (inspect both ends to ensure it is plugged in tightly), not enough water to saturate the cell (flow related but may have enough flow to activate the flow switch), cell fuse blown (located on the power circuit board, top left corner - 20 amp 250 VAC slow blow fuse).

As Jason recommended, get your pump fixed first so you can reestablish proper flow.

thanks for the input, it took me a few days of pouting but this evening put new male adapters on the pump in and out as they were both messed up and found the red plug loose in the socket.I pryed it open a bit and plugged it in. Cross my fingers everything seems to be operating properly. Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.