HTH Clear All Power pods

Aug 3, 2014
Murphysboro IL
First off, I'm not sure what is going on this year with regards to my pool. I've owned my 28' AGP for 4 years. This year it seems every week my pool gets cloudy and turns green. I've tried to keep my levels right but doesn't help much. Here's the thing, it looks green, but if I turn the pump off all of this yellowish/greenish "powder" falls to the floor of the pool, leaving the water perfectly clear. So, I vacuum to filter but all this does is float this powder back into the pool the filter does not catch most of it. Now to be up front, I have trees all around my pool in the back yard, large trees. This has not happened in the years prior with this pool....

SO, I saw this product at Wally World and decided what the heck I'll try it... This pool is larger than 10,000 gallons so I used 2 pods. Within 3 hours there was virtually NO output of water back into the pool. So I back washed it. I couldn't see any green, yellow or any other color coming thru the sight glass so I put it the valve back to filter. Water pressure is back to normal, but I only back washed for about 30 seconds or so...?

I don't know if my problem is pollen or what but it sure is frustrating. Btw way I am using a brand new this year sand filter and pump. I typically do not use the brand name stuff, I use bleach, backing soda, myuratic acid. I've always been able to maintain a virtually a clear pool until this year but our weather has been much different than years in the past.

Re: HTH Clear All Power Pod used, now filter is clogged, will it eventually dissolve?

I tried these yesterday. Did the same to my sand filter. Backwashed for 30 seconds, pressure back to normal...? My pool is cloudy but it isn't chemical related, I think it's pollen (my pool is surrounded by large trees). The sand filter will not filter this stuff out. The only thing I've found that works is the leave the pump off for two days, let it all settle to the floor, the vacuum to waste then I have clear water again. I have to do this once a week this year. This has not been a problem for the last 4 years.

Glad it worked for you, but we generally don't advocate putting anything in the pool that we don't know what it is or what it is doing. The MSDS for this product lists the chemical as "proprietary" so it wouldn't go in my pool. Do a search here and you will find complaints of clogged filters.

Glad it worked for you, but we generally don't advocate putting anything in the pool that we don't know what it is or what it is doing. The MSDS for this product lists the chemical as "proprietary" so it wouldn't go in my pool. Do a search here and you will find complaints of clogged filters.

I should be more clear (pardon pun) but it hasn't worked for me yet... It just stopped up my filter until I backwashed.. It's still way cloudy..

Would you mind sharing your latest test results and the method to get them? The vast majority of time cloudiness is a chemical problem rather than a mechanical problem.

I have a link in my signature to the Pool School, within that is the ABC's of water chemistry. Reading that will help you understand some of the advice that will be given here.

And welcome to TFP!

From myHTC One via Tapatalk

Would you mind sharing your latest test results and the method to get them? The vast majority of time cloudiness is a chemical problem rather than a mechanical problem.

I have a link in my signature to the Pool School, within that is the ABC's of water chemistry. Reading that will help you understand some of the advice that will be given here.

And welcome to TFP!

From myHTC One via Tapatalk

I've learned a lot from this forum over the last four years.. My chemical composition is fine. My cloudiness is being caused by something floating in the pool, something too small to be caught in the sand filter... This is proven every other week when I shut the pump off for two days.. The water is crystal clear with some powdery stuff on the bottom. I'll upload a picture of the pool after I've vacuumed 1/2 of it.. 1 side is green the other side crystal clear.

Re: HTH Clear All Power Pod used, now filter is clogged, will it eventually dissolve?

Pollen varies in size from 2.5 to 200 microns with most being around 25 microns. So some will get easily filtered by a sand filter and some will not without assistance. You can see if following the Pool School article Add DE to a Sand Filter helps. You may have a different cause for the cloudiness so if you post a full set of water chemistry numbers we might be able to help.

We're still going to ask to see test results and how you obtained them. Just saying your chemical composition is fine is not what we like to hear. The proof is in the pudding. You should be proud to show us that you water composition is fine. I'm not trying to be offensive ! We base our advice off accurate test results.
You say one side is green. Are you saying you have algae ?
You can also add some DE to your sand filter. That may help with filtering the stuff out.
Adding DE To A Sand Filter
Here are some good articles to look at.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
How To Chlorinate Your Pool
Welcome to TFP !!?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.