FAS-DPD Test supplier in UK/Europe?

roger888

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2010
South of France
Hi

I've spent some time researching the forum, but I can't find a definitive answer: is there currently a supplier of FAS-DPD test kits in the UK or Europe?

For day-to-day testing, I use a Scuba+ from Tintometer (for FC, TC, CYA, pH etc). This seems to give pretty reliable results (though no doubt with spurious accuracy in the last decimal!). And with 50 per cent dilution, I can test for FC up to 12ppm. But my shock target is 16+ and so I'd really like to be able to use an FAS test rather than rely on pro-rata guesswork. Can anyone advise on current suppliers?

Many thanks.

tim5055: thanks for the reply (but see below).

Richard320: Many thanks. I had found this link before. I noticed that it dated from a year or two ago, and it wasn't definitive. Nothing on the Palintest site, for example, seems to test FCL above 10ppm, so I assume they don't offer FAS. Lovibond = Tintometer, whose Scuba + I use; but no FAS. Horner Xpress seem to offer a global distribution service for Taylor K-2006 Kit (including FAS), but this seems geared to resellers, wholesalers etc. Like the original poster, I am waiting for a reply from them as to whether they will supply end-users -- and at what price. The LaMotte kits are now available through UK and French suppliers; but although they offer FAS-DPD, it is not clear what range this covers; I've emailed them too. Pool-ID seem to be basically a reseller, and their FC tests only go as far as 6ppm; so no FAS there either.

If I get any more definitive information from these or other suppliers, I'll post here to update the original post. And if there's anyone else in Europe with advice to add, I'd still be pleased to hear it!

Update: Looking more closely, I note that the Taylor K-2006 Complete FAS-DPD offered by Horner Xpress only tests FC up to 5ppm. So that doesn't seem to be satisfactory either. Or have I misunderstood?
If this is the link: http://www.hxworldwide.com/product/624-Taylor-K-2006-Complete-FAS-DPD , there seems to be some mistake. It appears they listed features of the K-2005 while listing the contents and picture of the K-2006. I'd shoot an email and ask for clarification. The FAS-DPD tester is good up to 50 FC. Maybe the powder is forbidden in the EU?

Update:

Taylor K-2006: I emailed Horner Xpress, international distributor of Taylor test kits, to clarify whether they are offering the genuine FAS-DPD test, which works up to 50 ppm, and to request a price if it's available in UK/Europe. I received three read receipts, from named individuals. A fourth named individual deleted my email without reading it. None of them has replied.

Palintest FAS-DPD: I emailed Palintest USA, copied to Palintest in the UK, to ask whether their FAS-DPD test was available in UK/Europe, and to request a price. I received a read receipt from a named individual in the USA. But I haven't received a reply.

LaMotte: I emailed Sword Scientific, distributors of LaMotte test kits in the UK, via their website to ask if their FAS-DPD test kit (7514-01) is available. They replied: "Thank you for your website enquiry detailed below. UK retail for this particular kit is £30.82 + £8.00 UK mainland delivery & VAT. Hope this helps."

I am, of course, ordering a LaMotte kit from Sword Scientific. It's disappointing that neither Horner nor Palintest are interested in my business.

Thanks to all for advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For the benefit of anyone in the UK or Europe who's after an FAS-DPD test kit, I thought I'd post an update.

I ordered the LaMotte kit (reference no 7514-01) from Sword Scientific in the UK (www.sword-scientific.com). They were fast, helpful and efficient, and dispatched the kit to my home on France.

I used it for the first time today. It comes with clear instructions and is easy to use. It's pretty easy to decide within one drop or so (0.2 ppm) when the colour disappears. I'm red-green colour-blind, but I had no problem with it. It has sufficient chemicals for up to 50 tests of both FC and TCL.

My regular test regime is with a Scuba+. For comparison I did both this morning. The measurements were taken before I added my daily dose of chlorine. I'm currently running a little low on CYA (26-28 ppm) and so my target FC is about 4ppm. The Scuba+ recorded FC of 2.75 and TCL of 2.95. The LaMotte kit measured FC 2.8 and TCL 3.0. I thought that was quite remarkably close. Either they're both wrong; or they're both pretty accurate at low concentrations.

I'll generally be continuing to rely on the Scuba+ for day-to-day testing, and reserving the LaMotte for SLAM testing at high concentrations.

In summary: Good service from Sword Scientific. Good, simple and apparently reliable results from LaMotte FAS-DPD. If you're in the UK or Europe, you need one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.