lots of ph drift

May 2, 2013
Dallas area
Hello - I have a plaster pool with a swg that is about 1 year old. I am still seein quite a bit of ph drift or at least weekly maint of ph (maybe this is normal). I am adding about 80 oz of acid weekly on a pool that is about 13000 gal. my numbers are:

salt 3400
FC 3
CC 0
PH 8.4 today 7.2 a week ago
ta 40
cya 65
ch 440
temp 85
csi -0.02

Anthony

Since your TA is low and you are still seeing substantial pH drift, it's probably not from carbon dioxide outgassing. You could consider adding 50 ppm Borates, but that may not reduce the amount of acid you need to add but should reduce the frequency of that addition.

By any chance are the returns into your pool close to the SWG (i.e. short pipe runs)? You could try pointing your returns (especially the closest one to the SWG) downward just in case the chlorine gas from the SWG cell isn't dissolving completely and some is outgassing which would cause the pH to rise.

thanks for the info. I have hesitated adding borates because I catch the dog taking a drink once in a while, not often. my runs from the swg are at least 40 ft. I do have one outlet that crests the water when the pump is on high. maybe I will rotate it a little.

anthony

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.