Partial drain restart help

Jul 21, 2014
Brandon, MS
Ok here we go. I had a CYA of around 180 & just finished partial drain and refill. I tested water with K-2006 then took water to pool store for test to compare results.

K-2006 results
Fc 4
Cc 0
Ph 7.8
Ta 160
Ch 20
Cya 30

Pool store results
Fc 3.3
Cc 0
Ph 8.1
Ta 190
Ch 50
Cya (said they couldnt test it because ph and ta were out of wack)

Pool store says add 9 qts 14 ozs of muratic acid. 17lbs 8ozs of calcium plus.

Pool calculator says 55ozs of acid and 625 ozs of calcium plus 39lbs..

Help please...

Brandon, MS
20000 gallon in ground vinyl
sand filter
hayward super 2 - 1 hp pump

Take the pool store results and throw them away. I never heard you can't test CYA because your PH and TA are out of whack.
Everything looks good with your test results. Trust them.
You have vinyl liner pool. Low CH is fine.
Don't let your FC fall below 2. I would target 5. You may want to bump your CYA up to 40 if your pool sees a lot of sun. Better protection from the sun with a CYA level of 40. Then your FC levels would be a target of 7 and never below 3.
Keep your PH in range and if it needs lowered that will also start to lower your TA. ?

If you have a vinyl liner, you don't need Calcium. So save your money.

A quart of Muriatic Acid will bring your pH down to 7.5. Nine quarts would drive your pH down to about 4.5! :shock: Don't listen to the pool store anymore. Their testing stinks and their advice is worse.

Assuming the water looks clear, go swimming.

Always trust your own test results, and learn all the intricacies of poolmath. If you plug in your selections in the setup down low on poolmath, it will give you recommended levels.

Well I added some calcium so that is money wasted but its ok, because I know better now. I added recommended acid from pool calculator. I have a good many trees so pool is rarely in 100% sun. Do you think I still need to bump up cya?

Brandon, MS
sand filter

Well I added some calcium so that is money wasted but its ok, because I know better now. I added recommended acid from pool calculator. I have a good many trees so pool is rarely in 100% sun. Do you think I still need to bump up cya?

Brandon, MS
sand filter
If you lose more than 3 ppm FC every day consistently, then consider going up a bit. Every pool is different. Be sure to leave room for pucks in a floater, in case you want to leave town for a few days any time during swim season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.