AGP Deck Gate Question

Aug 2, 2014
MA
If I have an above ground pool with an attached deck, would putting a gate/fence that meets all code requirements on the only edge of the deck that has access to the pool reduce the pool-safe requirements for the rest of the deck/area? This would be preferable in a situation where bringing the rest of the deck access/railing to code would be very expensive... I'm just foggy on whether it would actually be to code, even though I would be effectively bringing the only access point to code. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!

Without a picture or drawing, it's hard to say. Remember if there is a short rail on the ends of the deck, somebody could climb on that to get over the other fence. If you are going to have furniture on the deck, it might make climbing the fence easy.

Is your yard fenced with self closing self latching gates? In my area this meets the requirement.

If not then as long as the area of deck that has access to the pool is gated and enclosed with railings that are at the required height for your area that should be acceptable. Whether or not furniture is on the deck should have no bearing otherwise everyone's deck would fail pool or no pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.