Sodium Hipo ?

Aug 1, 2014
Bali, Indonesia
Hi guys,
Starting with a quick question.. As I currently stay in Indonesia, and nobody here knows English, it makes this pool care a whole lot more difficult :p hehe..

Nothing is labeled here. So I thought someone here might be able to help me.
I wanted to get a little stock, so this is what I have:

-Chlorine, I get it in 1kg long plastic bags as granule. No idea what kind of chlorine this is.
-HCL, This I know what is and what I can use it for. My pH tends to slowly go towards a base, so I sometimes add a little of this. No idea how strong it is, but it's strong. Eats away the concrete if I spill some. hehe
-Sodium Hipo 12%, Ok. So this is my main question. After reading, I guess it's supposed to be Sodium Hypo. Ok, this is supposed to be chlorine? Bleach? I tried to test this chemical. Did a normal pH and chlorine test from my pool, and added a small drop of this chemical to each of them to check. pH was lowered, and no different in the chlorine. So what is this? :p hehe. Maybe just more HCL?
-PAC, This is flock. This is what they use here. They have almost no chemicals at hands, so they flock a lot. Not good...

They have never heard of TA, CH, CYA, or anything... So I have no idea how I would modify these values.. Oh well, thats for another post :)

That must be liquid chlorine if it says 12%. Likely the drop bleached out the color of your test.

You have to figure out what the granules are ... that could allow you to add CYA.

The 25 liter container has a sticker on it saying "Sodium Hipo 12%", which is bleach. but that can be an old sticker. when i open the lit it comes some smoke out. same as the HCL. smells the same to.

i only tested it in an oto test. can i test it in my fas-dpd test? or will it be to strong? (one drop in 25ml test tube). got the k-2006 test kit.

About my chlorine granule. tried to ask. nobody understand or know. its chlorine they say. :p no labels.. will keep adding it to see if i can get cya up a bit. will do a slam very soon. just need to find bleach. its a big pool :/

Just tested it. No chlorine in it. And it smells and smokes just as the HCL. So I guess I got 2 big containers of HCL.. Oh well :p

On the positive, the lable says they do sell sodium hypo 12% (which is the good kind of chlorine to use, right?)
What should the price per liter be? If I buy like 20 liter.

Thanks =)

Here in the U.S. price for 12% Sodium Hypo would be in the $1 per litre range, This is a strong version of common household bleach and will have a bit of chlorine smell to it. As to your dry powdered chlorine product, this is most likely Calcium Hypo or Dichlor (or possibly Trichlor). Both Dichlor and Trychlor contain CYA and Chlorine, Calcium Hypo contains Calcium and Chlorine . A possible simple test to see which one it is would involve mixing a small amount with a glass jar of water, leave the water out in the sun for a couple of days for the chlorine to burn off, then test the pH, Dichlor and Trichlor as acidic so will lower pH, and I think Calcium Hypo is a mildly strong base, so should raise pH. Chlorine will also mess with pH results so it is important to let this sit exposed to the air and UV sunlight so it can burn off over a couple of days. Hopefully someone will double check me on that one.

Hey, thanks for your answer. Will do this test when I get time, as it would be interesting to know =)

Either way, I do need both CH and CYA, so whatever my chlorine is, it's good so far. :)
Did another CH and CYA test today. CH = 80, CYA = 20 maybe. The tube is full and I can still barely see the black dot.

Also got my hand on liquid chlorine today. Bought a big 35Liter (9-10 gallon) container of Sodium Hipo 12%. Yellow and smells like chlorine, so it's the right stuff.. ^^ Had to pay 130 000 rp for it (US$ 11). Will get another container like this before I start the SLAM, as I'm not sure it will be enough. Better to have stock, than to run out :p

The pools looks pretty clear. But I see green algea on some places in the pool, so I guess it's just a matter of time before it breaks out. Also see some black spots, that looks greenish when I smudge it. But it's much tougher to smudge than the green algea.

If you have a pool brush start brushing the walls of the pool. That will scrape the heads of the algae so the chlorine can get to it better.

- - - Updated - - -

Here in the U.S. price for 12% Sodium Hypo would be in the $1 per litre range, This is a strong version of common household bleach and will have a bit of chlorine smell to it. As to your dry powdered chlorine product, this is most likely Calcium Hypo or Dichlor (or possibly Trichlor). Both Dichlor and Trychlor contain CYA and Chlorine, Calcium Hypo contains Calcium and Chlorine . A possible simple test to see which one it is would involve mixing a small amount with a glass jar of water, leave the water out in the sun for a couple of days for the chlorine to burn off, then test the pH, Dichlor and Trichlor as acidic so will lower pH, and I think Calcium Hypo is a mildly strong base, so should raise pH. Chlorine will also mess with pH results so it is important to let this sit exposed to the air and UV sunlight so it can burn off over a couple of days. Hopefully someone will double check me on that one.

I don't have the backround to double check your methods, but it does seem easier to get a bucket of water, test the CH of the water, add some of the chlorine granules, mix it well and re test the CH after it has dissolved. The CH will not evaporate out, so if it rises the granules are cal-hypo. If it does not it is likely dichlor.

EDIT: One question. I dont want to use up all the fas-dpd chemicals in my kit. Can I take a water sample to 25ml mark, add fresh spring water to 50ml mark, mix, and then drain so I am left with 10ml in the tube. Instead of the normal 0.5ppm/drop, I should now have 1ppm per drop?

Because in theory, 25ml of 4ppm + 25ml of 0ppm = 50ml of 2ppm. Half the chlorine to measure, double the drop equivalent (or what it's called)

EDIT 2: I saw the upper mark is 44ml, not 50ml. So what I did, was 44ml poolwater, mixed in a glass with 44ml tap water. Fill from this glass to 10ml mark, and now I have 1drop = 1ppm.
- - - - - -

Thanks.
Started the SLAM yesterday. Or, I tried to start the slam... -.-

Did the math, and added about 12liters of 12% Sodium Hypo. 4 hours later I tested chlorine (at night), and it was only 3.5ppm ??
So I added 500grams of the granulated chlorine (I have to little CH and CYA, so it's ok to get some of that in with the granulated chlorine). Tested this morning, and chlorine was 5.5ppm
So now I added the whole 25/35liter (not sure how much it is) Sodium Hypo, and another 4liter of 6,25% bleach. Will test chlorine in an hour or so.

Bottom line: looks like I got a bad batch, as 12 liters of 12% chlorine should have been enough. =/ Typical.

The higher the chlorine % the more quickly it degrades. It will also degrade faster if it is stored in the sun or heat. It could also be old and have lost strength sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Most likely old. =/ So not buying more of that. Looks like I'm gonna use granule chlorine. :)

I did manage to get the pool to shock level. 12ppm and above. Not easy to measure loss overnight, as the granule is somewhat slow-dissolving. This morning, I had no loss from yesterday evening. Though, as the granules might be releasing chlorine throughout the night, I'll just keep the pool at 12ppm for another day or two. Never had any CC, and the pool looks very clear. It started to get a slight green tint, and felt a little slippery. So I'm SLAMing for a couple days :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.