Intex 14 gallon sand filter with a Hayward 1.5 horse pump...

Aug 1, 2014
Last night my intex filter motor called it quits and left me without anything. It was a 1/2 horse, 1600 gph pump and the bs of it is, it was only 2 years old. Anyway.... A buddy of mine let me borrow his Hayward 1.5 horse pump to use for the time being and while it blows my old pump away, I'm kindof concerned that my filter can't handle it. My psi gauge with the old pump averaged around 6-7 psi, and now with this pump its up around 11-15 psi. On the gauge, 20 psi is when it enters the red, right now it's in the yellow. Anybody's help would be very appreciated, I already have to buy a new motor, I really don't want to buy a filter also.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Don't run the pump through the filter more than an hour or two a day. If you have a setting for recirculate you could use that just for mixing chemicals. You could probably do ok with a 3/4 hp replacement pump.

Curious how this worked out. I am in the same situation -- Hayward 1.5 HP pump with 14" intex sand filter. It hovers around 12psi clean, which is midway through the yellow on the gauge.

Update 9/9/15: kept this setup running all through the summer (around Memorial Day weekend 2015 through now), and no problems. I will definitely upgrade the sand filter for next season, but it handled the pump that is way too large for it for at least this one season. Also, did not have to run the pump nearly as long or frequently as the original Intex pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.