Last owner left yellow jugs of chlorine

g5marek

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2014
Markham/Ontario
When we moved into our house, I found some of the yellow jugs of chlorine in the pool house. At least I am assuming it's liquid chlorine.

I am not sure what to do with liquid.

I am not inclined to add it to the pool since I don't really know what it is and we have a SWG so I don't really need it either.

Any suggestions?

Usually they will have a printed date code on the side of the bottle. Based on that you can get a ballpark of how old and how much strength it has lost. It may be mostly water and salt at this point but not harmful to try.

No legible label?

You could test it. Courtesy of chem geek in this thread: Testing strength of 12.%...

1/4 teaspoon of 6% bleach in 2 gallons of chlorine-free (and chlorine-demand-free) water is 10 ppm FC. 1/4 teaspoon of 12.5% chlorinating liquid in 2 gallons is 20.4 ppm FC so 1/8th teaspoon is 10.2 ppm FC.

If you have a spare Taylor or TFTestkits bottle from one of the reagents (especially the titrating ones), then they are 24 drops per ml so 24 drops is 1/5th teaspoons. 1/4 teaspoon is about 30 drops. 1/8th teaspoon is around 15 drops.

You could do this, then take a sample of the solution you make and test it with the FAS-DPD chlorine test and get a good idea...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.