Cannot stablize chlorine level

Aug 1, 2014
tampa,fl
It does not matter how many bags of shock that I use the chlorine level will go up for a day or so and then back to zero. I also have a chlorine feeder that feeds 3 to 4 tabs (3 inch) weekly. The pool itself looks beautiful. I have been multiple bag shocking the pool for 6 weeks. Initially there were orange stains which the shocking did clear up but there are white small floaters that have not filtered out. The pool store owner just keeps telling me to shock, shock, shock but it does not seem to be working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

My pool chemical results are as follows:

1. free available chlorine 0
2. total available chlorine 0
3. calcium hardness 450
4. cyanuric acid 50
5. total alkalinity 80
6. PH 7.4
7. copper 0
8. iron 0
9. total dissolved solids 1200
10. phosphates 100

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You need to stop listening to the pool store and stop trusting their testing. The path you are on is likely making your problems worse.

Start your journey to understanding in Pool School by reading these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You are then going to need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits so that you KNOW what is going on in your water.

This is not as hard as it initially seems and there are 100s here willing to help.

Welcome to TFP!

I'm suspicious that your CYA is as low as 50ppm. Tabs increase it rapidly and you get into situations like you have where the chlorine just can't fight what is in the water because of the CYA.

Check out ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, then read SLAMing Your Pool

You'll want to stop using any form of powdered chlorine and the tabs, because it all adds CYA or calcium, and you are at high enough levels for those already.

Our method is like a sniper, while the pool store advice is like firing a shotgun blindly and hoping you hit something.

Welcome! :wave:

There is a lot of learning ahead. It's a steep curve, but then you just coast. One thing you must understand is that your pool is like a living creature. It has its own personality and its own appetite and it needs to be fed every day. You can't fast for 3 or 4 days and then catch up at the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.