Cloudy water mess

Hey all, I recently posted a thread about my broken SWG and the cloudy/green water I came home to on Sunday. I had the water tested Monday and these were the results:

FC: .12
TC: .13
CC: .01
PH: 7
Hardness: 168
Alk: 115
CYA: 35

I have an IG 30,000 gallon pool with auto cover and mineral springs SWG. The pool store had me add 8# of zip chlor (sodium dichlor 97%) granular chlorine, 1# proteam ph up and 10# of proteam calcium up. I added all that Monday and finally got my SWG fixed thur morning. I ran the SWG on super chlorinate for 24 hr starting yesterday at 11 am. The water was still very cloudy so after reading some threads on here I picked up some Clorox bleach 8% to help out the SWG. I added a gallon of the bleach last night around midnight and the water is still cloudy today around noon.

Forgot to add that after adding the bleach there appeared to be white swirls on the top of the water, not sure what's causing that?

The only test kit I have at home are the strips and these were the results today:
TC: 2
FC: still very low around .15
PH: 7.2ish

So now I'm not really sure what to do? Should I keep adding bleach until it clears up or do I need to go pick up some more of the zip chlor granular? Sorry for the basic questions, this is our first year with the pool and it's been a handful. Had to replace the SWG cell, then the board went out and now this. Appreciate the help in advance!

Since you appear to be new to the pool scene. Please start to read Pool School, specifically starting with the ABCs of Water Chemistry.

You need to stop listening to the pool store and their bogus test results. Use the money you save by not buying all their chems and invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits so you can properly follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up your pool.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

If you have a vinyl pool, then adding the CH was just a waste of money.

The first thing I'm going to recommend is getting yourself one of these Test Kits. This will be the best investment you can make for your pool. It will also be the main tool for you to use to maintain your pool yourself.
To help you out we need test results we can trust to be accurate. With out good accurate test results it's hard to get you pointed in the right direction. The pool store isn't going to be on your side with their water testing. Their testing is for the most part inaccurate. They are in business to sell chemicals. The strips, well they aren't up to the job also.
I would like you to take a look at these articles from pool school. These will get you started in understanding your water chemistry.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
How To Chlorinate Your Pool
Take the time to read the articles and when you have questions ask. Order the test kit, I use the TF 100, post up a full set of test results and we can get everything fixed up for ya.
Please add all your pool, equipment, and location info to your sig. That will help us better help you ! ?

Since you appear to be new to the pool scene. Please start to read Pool School, specifically starting with the ABCs of Water Chemistry.

You need to stop listening to the pool store and their bogus test results. Use the money you save by not buying all their chems and invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits so you can properly follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up your pool.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

If you have a vinyl pool, then adding the CH was just a waste of money.

Yep, it's a vinyl lined pool. Is my location not showing up? I added it when I signed up, Bloomington, MN. Is there anything I can do to clear the water up before the test kit arrives?

It just said MN ... I was more interested in your pool details though.

You need to follow the SLAM process to clear up the pool. That requires a FAS-DPD test kit. You can maybe keep it from getting worse by adding 2 bottles of liquid chlorine / bleach every evening until the kit shows up.

We recommend cleaning or backwashing your filter when the pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure. What is your clean pressure ? Could be some source of your problem if it needs cleaned. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.