new build - Dallas area

JCo

Jun 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Hey everyone. So we signed a contract, we are about 2 weeks in and I am already getting frustrated.
1. Contractor submitted plans to the City for a permit on Monday. Today (Friday), I ask for an update and am told by contractor that it will take up to 2 weeks. So I contact the inspector and the permit has been ready since Wednesday.
2. In our contract, we already paid for flagstone, but are wanting to upgrade to travertine coping. The cost for the upcharge/upgrade to travertine is $60 under the FULL COST of travertine that the tile company quoted us.
Am I overreacting or are these some pretty significant red flags, here?

Hi, I am a new pool owner, so please keep that in mind - but I don't think I would see red flags. Tell your pool builder the permits is ready, and ask when your excavation will be scheduled. If their response is not acceptable, let them know. Although, with all the rain we've had, they may be running behind on excavations. I think mine was pushed back at least a week, from all the rain.

As far as the travertine, it may depend on how much you are getting. Is it just the coping, or is your deck travertine too? Did the tile company quote you materials and labor, or materials only? I would try and get an apples to apples comparison. And, I've found, everything is negotiable (but way more so before the contract is signed).

Congratulations on your pool and good luck with your build! This forum was a huge help to me during my build and I am sure it will be for you too!

Im thinking along same lines as Tylerlisal,

not biggie red flags yet. When they stop answering the phone or dont show up for a couple weeks, then thats a red flag. PB's get busy, it rains and they and their contractors get behind. Its not unusual in the construction and contractor biz to get some strange comments or answers when being straight up would make most folks happy enough.

Have a talk with your PB and be nice, but let him know your concerns.

I would call your PB and let him know that you checked and the permit is ready to go. I had a similar start to my pool build, but I let them know I was on top of things. I always offered to follow up on things for them like permits, outside vendors who supplied equipment or materials, etc. I think it's good to be "active" in the process.

Okay, thanks for your advice. I think I am just anxious and felt like it would have made the customer (me & hubby) more comfortable to hear "hey, we are slammed right now but your pool is in the works" than to hear an embellished story. ANYWAY.... I appreciate your input.

We heard over the weekend that they are going to try and move the dig date up to Friday the 8th. Pretty excited about that. Here are a few photos of our yard and the rendering of the pool that we & our builder designed....

3YardOverview.jpg
photo of our yard. Pool will be "past" the tree farther back. (Our yard is long and pie shaped)

4YardOverview.jpg
area will the pool will go

2Rendering.jpg
Rendering of our "play pool"... 3 1/2 feet deep at the steps and 6 1/2 feet deep at the deepest end.... and a "really huge" tanning ledge. ;) The "swimout" toward the deep end is more like a deep mini tanning ledge, per hubby's request. (They are calling it the "couch" instead of a loveseat.)

I believe it's 31 feet at the longest, with 88 foot perimeter. Pretty psyched to be doing this. I have wanted to put a pool in this yard for about 10 years now and we're finally doing it!

Last edited:
...it would have made the customer (me & hubby) more comfortable to hear "hey, we are slammed right now but your pool is in the works" than to hear an embellished story.

Well...you need to lower your expectations. Excuses are part of the program. Our pool builder has a creative excuse that he has completely worn out but keeps on using; the standard excuse every time we go weeks without any progress is "The only person we think is good enough to work on a project as detailed as yours has a family emergency and should be back next week". I think we've heard this excuse about five times now. If you read other peoples build threads, you will see that almost everybody has the same frustrations.

Bob

I had a similar experience as well, PB stated that it would take 10days for our utilities to be marked in order to dig, when in fact it only takes 48hrs, after 48hrs I called the PB and adviced them that no one had ordered the utilities to be marked, and made them order it and provide me with proof. since then I double check everything they tell me. We are in the final stages and I still catch them lying to me every now and again. Sometimes I call them out on it, sometimes I let it slide. Really sucks that they won't just say they are busy and provide you with a approximate date instead of just lying. Hopefully everything goes super smooth for you.

Thank you, RangerBob & Northrider.
Northrider, I sorta did the same thing on utilities -- had to follow up and get someone out there. (I'm like, why am I doing the job we paid you for?!)
I imagine the majority of customers probably "get it" that a pool builder has more than one project going, so wouldn't it just be better all around if honesty were the key? (Or am I overestimating myself and other customers' patience? haha) I am a "newbie" tho, so this is all uncharted territory for me.

I am letting my husband take over the majority of corresponding with PB, they seem to reply a little faster to his calls and emails. We are scheduled for the dig on Friday the 8th (weather-permitting) so I am very happy about that. Will post photos as progress starts.

(I'm like, why am I doing the job we paid you for?!)

This is the most frustrating part, in my opinion. I am retired military and am a stickler for supervision and integrity. These words seem to be completely foreign to pool builders. You and your husband will need to keep a very close eye on everything that is going on and ask lots of questions. I resigned myself to the fact that I am the on-site supervisor. My wife and I are obviously the only ones who care if our project is done right. So far, the trades have all answered any questions I've had and fixed everything I pointed out. Yesterday I had the decking guy fix a form board that was an inch out of level over twelve feet. It doesn't seem like much but, I could see it and it would have irritated me forever. He fixed it without question.

Consider the pool building process as a great test of your ability to maintain patience and sanity. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.