pump troubles

Jul 27, 2013
hey all.

this morning i went outside and i could hear our pump running loudly but there was no flow. we had heavy rain last night and there was a lot of junk in the strainer and skimmer baskets unfortunately. i got everything cleaned out, but i can't get the pump to move water again. i also found a lot of small black pieces that look like plastic in the pump strainer as well as the skimmer baskets....not sure if it was runoff from something or the pump internals have disintegrated.... but anyhow. unfortunately this clogging has happened to me a couple of times over the time we've been in the house, which i know is bad for the pump but i can't do anything about that now.

my other problem is i can't quite figure out what i have, but it seems to be old (this owner's manual was from the 80s). we only moved into the house a year ago, but the previous owner left me this owners manual:

YmKiIMnl.jpg

this is the label off the motor, so i know i've got one of the four 1.5HP models but unfortunately the pump label is missing.

RFfR3YZl.jpg

any ideas or tips to figure out if my pump is toast? is it worth trying to rebuild? typically it primes up on its own no problem after a few seconds, but this time it isn't doing that anymore. when i switch the pump back off it is making a different whirring sound than it usually does so something does sound amiss.

thanks in advance.

First, find the PUMP mfg label - the label you have is the motor's (A.O. Smith seems to own the pool pump motor market).
Then: find out if replacement parts are available.
Then find a video of how to open it enough to get to the impeller.

Then, if parts are available, decide if a paert needs replacement. If it does, and the part isn't available; well, I wouldn't bother re-assembling it.

I'm assuming you've checked the baskets (not usually black) for missing pieces.

The other possibility is some foreign object got ground up by the impeller - are the kids missing a black plastic boat?
There was a 6" gap in the fence when I moved in - the next door kids decided to see if they could throw a toy far enough to get in the water. They couldn't maybe yours?

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. Adding your pool info to your signature block is not only a recommended prratice, it is really handy.

The pump label is missing unfortunately, as I said above. No kids, and no toys made it in.

As for no prime, it typically self primes on its own just fine. But I did fill the strainer with water to try to give it a boost and it didn't help.

I wouldn't put too much effort in to it. If the pump is that old, it doesn't owe you anything. Just gives you an opportunity to upgrade to a more efficient one.
More than likely you're going to be nickeled and dimed to death with on going issues.
Just make sure the rest of the plumbing and components are ok.

You can take it apart to inspect the wet end. If it looks in good shape, keep it and replace motor only - plastic parts on the wet side with good care "should" last forever. However, if the chemistry was in doubt and the plastic got brittle, I agree with the sentiment of not getting nickle and dimed. Replace the whole thing with a 2 speed, and you can make the new, efficient pump last a long time.

alright. yeah, i'll see what i can inspect tomorrow but i think you're right - it probably gives me a good opportunity to buy something more efficient.

i'm still a newbie when it comes to pools, only having owned this one for a year. is replacing a pump something relatively straightforward to do? or should i go ahead and get someone to come do it for me?

I just had the wet end of a pump on my spa seize up. After doing all of the research I replaced the whole shooting match. Pump and wet end. Not worth doing part on an older motor like that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.