My small Intex pools in England.

Jun 3, 2014
England
I know my pools are only itty bitty teeny tiny pools, especially compared to some of the amazing monsters on this site, but they've been / are my pride & joy, are much loved and have provided endless fun and enjoyment. So I'm sharing our pool history from out little garden in England.

I lived on the outskirts of London for a decade and the last year of living there, they opened up the old Lido. It was closed 2 years before I moved there. My daughter was one that summer and we spent as many hot days there as possible and had a great time.

http://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/centres/Hillingdon_Sport_and_Leisure_Complex /facility/Outdoor_pool

We moved north, at the end of that summer and into my Dad's house with him. No public open air pools locally, a couple of private gyms have small open air pools, but they're expensive and a fair drive away. I wasn't happy about leaving the newly opened Lido behind, especially after ten years of living there and no Lido!

It's a small terraced house, but has quite a long garden for houses in the area but narrow about 14ft. The garden has a kitchen extension, small lawned area and then a garage and drive.

Garden & garage.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a pool, but a Dora attempt at water fun in the garden.

It was fun & definitely got you wet & cool :D

Our first pool in the garden.

- - - Updated - - -

The following summer, we had some money and decided to have the garage taken down and make more space for our daughter to play in. We got a shed, a play house, a trampoline, a children's picnic table which you could take the top off and there was a sand pit. Turned out to a paltry inch of sand to play with, so we got a sandpit shell, with a matching lid, you could fill with water too.

Before.

During

After

With new shed

With new outdoor toys

I guess, this is our 2nd pool.

- - - Updated - - -

We used the space left on the garage foundations to set up different activities. Like the flyboat filled with balls.

The last summer in London, we'd been to a first birthday party of one of my daughter's 'friends'. The garden the party was in, had an Easy Set pool on the patio . . . . I was still craving the Lido we'd left behind in London . . . the flyboat on mats had given me an idea.

The following year I was on the hunt for pool number three, watching 8ft Intex Easy Set pools on eBay. There was a used but good condition pool with an over the top filter with a Buy It Now price of £35. We bought it in the spring and it sat under our dining table until the first week of June. People scoffed and joked we wouldn't have the weather to use it. I didn't care. If it was hot enough for one days splashing I would be more than happy.

We had to rejig the garden toys a bit. The playhouse moved closer to the house, as did the cosy coupe and the rubbish sand table moved to in front of the shed. That made plenty of space for the 8ft pool and the old garage foundations being perfectly flat made the perfect base.

- - - Updated - - -

We got some EVA camping mats from Aldi. Holey ones for around the outside, so it wouldn't be slippy and whole ones for the middle of the pool. This worked well, really comfy underfoot, or under knees - I spend a lot of time chasing littler legs in the pool, on my knees :-D

Little legs loved it as much as I did.

My absolute favourite thing to do. Floating on the pool, reading a book. You can see how the filter attached to the pool in this photo too.

- - - Updated - - -

It's the perfect spot for a bite of breakfast.

But look at all that space . . . . . I was already planning my next pool.

The weather was the best we'd had in years. Bona fide 'heat wave'. We spent sooeeee much time in the pool. We had so much fun. It was the best purchase EVER. As for the scoffers, given that shops and online stores had sold out, they were a pleasant shade of green.

My husband had been dubious, but supportive, of the my whole pool obsession. He couldn't complain though, we were getting so much use out of the pool, little legs adored it. We had a birthday party for her at a soft play place, when we got home, we just took the cover off & in she popped. So simple & easy, yet masses of free fun.

- - - Updated - - -

The end of the summer came

But little legs wasn't giving the pool up without some serious last playing in it.

- - - Updated - - -

I spent the winter trawling online stores, eBay and Amazon trying to find the best price on a 10ft Easy Set. I had the perfect pack chosen with filter pump, solar cover, debris cover, ladder and heater. We were going on holiday for a week in May and planned to order it as soon as we got back. Husband had laid concrete in the gap between the garage foundations and the edging stones that separated the grass from the path, so that there was a couple more inches of hard standing.

Everyday on holiday I checked the pack online. Then one day, there ladders were no longer available!

As soon as we got home, I rang them up, they had sold out of ladders, but had a larger set available for more money. I was having them. New pool ordered or pool number 4. Happy happy happy.

It arrived and a few days later we were putting it up. First week of June, a few days earlier than last year.

Aldi didn't have anymore camping mats in, so I bought some in a slightly different size and cut them to fit down the edge.

Starting out.

Mats, how they'd been under the 8ft pool.

New mats cut to fit.

The fences have changed on both sides too. Sadly the lady that owned next door passed away and developers have bought and redone the house / garden. We got a new fence on our side, as the wind in the winter took ours down. Our fence is designed to let let light through. Thankfully the developers didn't go too high with their fence, else my pool would get less sun.

The pool.
If only we could fold it back up so small, afterwards.

Finding the perfect position.

Up she goes, to the sound of, "Can I Get In Yet?".

Ladders being placed.

Ladders being used for the first time.

Oh, we'd bought little legs, a decent wetsuit, when we were on holiday in surfer land. Hoping that & the heater would slightly extend how long the pool got used.

Filter set up.

Enjoying the water.

The week after we put the pool up, we went to a large toy shop, and saw several boxes of the 10ft metal frame pool. The boxes had pictures of the pool on. The pool went straight up at the sides, not curving in like the Easy Set. The diameter is actually 10ft, not 10ft minus the size the inflated ring on both sides . . . . we went home & looked at the Easy Set . . . every time we put the Solar Cover on the pool and had to tuck inches and inches under the inflated ring . . . . every time we got in the pool, we were mentally calculating the where the edge of the pool would be, if it was a metal frame.

A metal frame pool had never entered my decision making process when I bought the 10ft Easy Set pool. Hours and hours and hours of pouring over online stores that sold pools and not once did a metal frame enter into my mind.

I posted on here and asked if there was any disadvantages.

None.

It came down to a simple equation :-

More surface water area = more space for more inflatables.

I quickly bought a 10ft Metal Frame Intex pool AKA pool number 5. The online store I'd bought the Easy Set from had already sold out, so I found somewhere else, selling at a good price. With the savings I bought a few more inflatables.

I loved, loved, loved the 10ft Easy Set pool, but it wasn't a sad day, taking it down.

We left the water draining overnight. Husband wanted to take the cover off, I didn't because of all the neighbours cats. This meant I didn't take the floating chlorine tablet dispensers out. Which meant we got left with this.

*multiple swear words*

Apart from the bleaching the pool & pump were in perfect condition and I could of sold it for more than I paid for it, at the right time.

Oh well.

New shiny pool going up in a couple days, when it's sunny, with no bleached liner.

Exactly 4 weeks later. On my birthday, up went my latest pride and joy.

Aldi had got more camping mats in, in the meantime, so we rushed down that day and bought a couple more packs. Now all underneath the pool, except for where the ladder is, is 'complete' mats, rather than holey. So, so, so nice underfoot.

Little legs helping out.

Doesn't she look good.
For some strange reason, we didn't move the pool nearer the edge, like we did with the two Easy Set's. Makes it a bit tight on space at the other side, but nothing prohibitive.

Fitting the pump & heater before we filled this time. Another improvement.

Pulling out the wrinkles, with my feet.

It was much easier pulling out the wrinkles, with my feet on this pool than the Easy Set's.
Actually it went up, far easier than we were expecting. Ten minutes, maximum.

Little legs decided to play with her Playmobil Pool whilst waiting for this one to fill.

At last.

It's ready.

Testing some of the new inflatables, I couldn't resist buying.

Look the 10ft Solar Cover fits, rather than being too big. Like it was on the Easy Set.

These photo's from the upstairs really show the difference in sizes.

And again, the difference with the lilo as reference for size.

We decided to out the pump & heater round the other side this time, under the bench we put in the corner. This postion works really well.

Plugs in the Dri-Box.

I love, love, love this pool even more than the others, but I'm already planning bigger.

I park my car on the drive behind the shed. When we save up enough money, we are going to make the small front garden into a drive - local authority permission permitting - then move the shed / fence / gate back and have an area to sit & eat and enjoy the pool in an evening. We have a couple of barbecues and chimenea that we don't use once the pool is up, as there isn't really space. So that's the next big project. To be able to eat in the garden in the evening, next to the pool.

Front garden

Hopefully it’ll be my drive next summer.

I'd had my heart set on an Intex 9 x 18 ft Ultra Frame as that would fit entirely on the garage foundations, but after reading the dimensions with the support legs on the outside, we'd have to make the foundations slightly longer & wider. BUT, now I want the 12ft Round Ultra Frame in the meantime. If I've got to make the foundations wider anyway, we may as well concrete over the path, for the length of the foundations and put the 12ft pool there. I can't see any for sale in the UK, but have noticed they are for sale in the US.

Area that needs concreting.

Husband doesn't swim, but after seeing how much fun the pool gives Little Legs & I, he's fully inboard with bigger pool plans. He's already been in a few times this year already and had a great time himself.

The old pools, I sold. The 8ft one for £30, so a whole summer's fun for £5 and the 10ft Easy Set for £10 less than I paid despite the bleached liner. Works out at £10 for just under 4 weeks use. Still a bargain.

I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a cheap sand filter and possibly SWG too.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks kristap178

^^^^ There's 4 and 5, think it'll be a long wait for number six, but 5 will give us a great time whilst we wait.

I just read your thread. Great story ! It's great to see how much enjoyment a pool can bring. No matter what size it is . Kids don't care. All that matters to them is having fun and little legs seems to be having a boatload of fun.
Keep us posted on how things are going ! ?

Thanks for all your kind words, SusanandSteve, Divin Dave & Pwstrk.

It's fair or say these little pools have transformed our summers. Totally. Even my Dad gets enjoyment out of it. He loves sitting on the bench in the corner by the pool. You can spot him on the lilo sizing photo. His eyesight isn't all that anymore, I think, he thinks he's sat on the promenade at the seaside :D :D :D

It's bucketing it down here today - forecast is looking good for next week - so I'll be spending time drooling over everyone's pools on TFP. I Love a bit of virtual fantasy :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.